Off Road tyres on an A class.

Phil you may want to check speed ratings on the generals also check insurance company about fitting tyres that your motorhome wasn’t specked to have on

Winter tyres will give nothing extra on wet muddy grass . The only tyre that will improve traction in such conditions , are exactly what you initially chose eg a MT like the Coopers . I run BFG MT on my 110 285/75 x16 and have done for decades . They will get noisier above approx 60mph and really start to howl at over 70 :0
You will get a slight drop in mpg , as they are heavier and rolling resistance is slightly more . Ride comfort is not noticeably worse than a rib design . If you fit all round then you will need to rotate front to rear to avoid "shouldering" on the front tyres . Dont bother with an AT as will not really help when you need , they are as name says a compromise tyre . You need only to comply with speed and load ratings to be legal . The cont Xcontact are a good tyre for a lighter
vehicle (used them on Freelanders) and they were specced as a road tyre on some defenders . @Phil

The coopers will last longer than the Grabbers :)

My son has nobbly tyres on his 4x4 pickup its like driving on square wheels
Bloody horrible Its not just the noise but the vibration to consider

For a quieter ride and good grip on wet grass and mud Michelin CrossClimates are now available in commercial sizes
These are all season tyres

I have Michelin Agilis Alpins and they are quiet and give good traction

Last edited:
I have LT245/75 R16 Cooper Discoverer S/T Max on the rear of mine and intend putting some on the front when needed, I don't find them any noisier than than the slicks, sorry I mean normal tyres that were on it before...

If the fields are bad what about one of these.View attachment 43661
Ex army 4x4 truck then convert Trev, think it may be slightly more economical to run. Those low pressure cats are something else as well, I thought they were joking when they said they can run over your foot without it hurting. It’s strange seeing a dozer run over someone and them laugh lol

Edit, lgp cats, missed ground out

Go for the Managon option www. Campervanculture

I do like the X3s and after watching the reviews they would be my first choice. I will be fitting the same size tyre, so it wont have massive 4x4 tyres.

I suppose the concern for me now is the handling. I know that big lug tyres can reduce handling. I am not too worried about the reductions in braking as I try and stay away from other motorists anyway :)

The X3s have a strengthened side wall which aids stability.

I want to do more exploring in my van and these tyres would help that. When we were in the Outer Hebrides last year there where there were places I wanted to go but would not dare because of the road surface.

One more thing to consider is that my van does have off road mode on the air suspension, this increases the height and the suspension travel. I will be doing a video about this in the future.
View attachment 43681
This is ours in build at the moment
I can not wait to see it all finished Andy!

From the drawings, you showed me it is going to be superb.

It will be a 4x4 motorhome pin up.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back