Oiling the undercarriage

andromeda

Advice please. Took van for an estimate yesterday re the welding. Guy suggested oiling the under side of van because of salt corrosion. He has a van himself.
Thoughts please. Ta

Advice please. Took van for an estimate yesterday re the welding. Guy suggested oiling the under side of van because of salt corrosion. He has a van himself.
Thoughts please. Ta
Just had a welding job done on mine the guy wax oiled it all in the price

Thoughts please. Ta
Have a look at a rust preventative called Lanoguard, it contains lanolin and is becoming a popular alternative to Waxoil and similar treatments, easy to apply yourself as well.

Have a look at a rust preventative called Lanoguard, it contains lanolin and is becoming a popular alternative to Waxoil and similar treatments, easy to apply yourself as well.
I've used lanoguard Eric and I thinks it's a good product as long as you recoat it ever year.

Any rust must be removed first, then tratment to stop water/salt corrosion,its not just the underside but internal parts like doors sills and a frame around the door, most of this should be done from new, gate horse and bolt spring to mind.

Any rust must be removed first, then tratment to stop water/salt corrosion,its not just the underside but internal parts like doors sills and a frame around the door, most of this should be done from new, gate horse and bolt spring to mind.
Unfortunately no one tells you this stuff and ignorance is not always good.

With the water coming in from above and the oil sprayed on your bottom the oil slick with be like a breadcrumb trail🤣🤣
First priority is get the van watertight if your clothes and bedding make you I’ll because they are damp the van will be unpleasant to use so repair the top before treating the bottom
Water coming in being dealt with asap. The guys are very busy at present

As above Lanoguard is reputedly pretty good (although not long lasting )

Dinitrol
POR products
Buzzweld

All do products with improved 'creep' 'moisture driving' and self healing properties ...
Much better than Waxoyl (though Waxoyl is better than nothing .

For maximum effectiveness the underside needs steam cleaning,drying thoroughly and any loose bits wire brushing/scraping
Before treating
And any box sections/cavities injecting at high pressure .

Thanks everyone.
Spoke to the mechanic who had care of van previously; didn't give me a straight answer. Said he would only have done it if I had asked. You can't ask for stuff you don't know about! He seemed ambiguous about the value of having it done on an 18 year old van previously untreated so I'm still unsure of value of it given I now have water ingress in addition to damp!

The damp and water ingress is the worry point, get that sorted first.

I'd be very surprised if an 18 year old van didn't have at least surface rust, and if it's got to 18 without anything worse I'd not worry about it, the main parts to look at are steering and suspension mounts but if they were that bad you would (hopefully) had an advisory at least when it had an MOT last, not sure if rot on the cab comes under MOTs but sills, steps and wings would be the first things to show signs of bubbling under the pains, so look at those and if they look okay then they probably are.

But you need to have a gentle word with the garage, tell them you need them to give you advice on ANY problems and tell you if it can wait or is urgent, that is their job, if they don't want to do that then find another garage.

Thanks. Advisory on joint I think; currently can't find bloomin thing.
The frank water ingress is going to be sorted but afraid stripping whole van out is not a financial option at present. Seals need looking at but then again drying out with out stripping could lead to rot. Thinking a lottery ticket is needed!

You can see your MOT online, Google motinfo and put your reg in it's fairly straightforward.

Languard seems to be the preferred modern choice. I've used Waxoil and it's horrible to work with and redo. Adz on "Herman The Hymer" will be posting a review of Lanoguard soon on his YouTube channel.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back