Old But Working Gadgets

most bizarre bit of kit is my bolt croppers - strange but true . i was rummaging through a skip in Bath and amongst a load of useful stuff ,was a bag wit a brand new pair of cropper blades , they looked shiny so i grabbed them . couple of weeks later , walking through a town near Bristol , i sat on a low wall ,and behind it found a set of croppers with the blades missing . very odd
very, ok.pj you are a cut above the others, ok

Talking of skips a chap who sold us and got us some work using belzona products was coming out of a gym in Bangor Co Down when he seen two oil paintings in a skip outside a old house which was being renavated,lifted them and went to his house,a few days later his mate a art seller took them to london for auction,sold both for 20 grand,i now always look in skips and thats where im heading to night as i have spotted one local.:D
youve been spotted, dont give up you day job trev, you will need it. if only to start the engin. what a howling suckses. keep going, ok.pj. we need u.

I have a couple of items that belonged to my grandad. He wa a self taught mechanic. I have his oil can...it's one that has a lever that you press to dispense the oil, and a hand held drill.....sounds like yours Jennie.

I have a couple of items that belonged to my grandad. He wa a self taught mechanic. I have his oil can...it's one that has a lever that you press to dispense the oil, and a hand held drill.....sounds like yours Jennie.
I have an old singer sewing machine oil dispenser No idea of age I suspect 40/50s.
FC19AD8C-367C-41BF-B708-884BB2705931.jpeg

Reactions: 2cv

I think I know exactly what you mean, Sue:

IMG_20200619_101221.jpg

I used this one this morning to oil my bike chain.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

First thing happens when you die is the wife gets a relative in to clear all you junk to the skip and then she buys that we white poodle she always wanted but you would not be seen dead walking it.:eek: to late now your gone .

I have my mums old singer it was a 21st birthday present so 1941, it came in an enclosed cabinet and the machine rotates down into the top section there is a hinged lid which folds out to make a work table, most of the cabinet is pristine but unfortunately the walnut veneer on the top is water damaged (legacy of keeping flowers on top) but should strip off with a bit of heat & I will replace, it had the treadle removed and an singer electric motor & light fitted a £5upgrade at the time of purchase the toolkit comes with a diagram of how to pack everything in place the oil can handbook & catalogue are also with it, I remember mum using it almost every day it is the 201k such a heavy duty machine it was used in factories for industrial use a claim to fame was IMG_0036.JPGIMG_0038.JPGIMG_0040.JPGas used by rolls Royce to do their leather upholstery

Ken that was probably made in the singer factory in Clydebank about half a mile from me. They practically owned half the town a Company like JCB they built decent houses and schools for the workers.Then the jerries bombed in to bits One bright moonlit night.

I have my mums old singer it was a 21st birthday present so 1941, it came in an enclosed cabinet and the machine rotates down into the top section there is a hinged lid which folds out to make a work table, most of the cabinet is pristine but unfortunately the walnut veneer on the top is water damaged (legacy of keeping flowers on top) but should strip off with a bit of heat & I will replace, it had the treadle removed and an singer electric motor & light fitted a £5upgrade at the time of purchase the toolkit comes with a diagram of how to pack everything in place the oil can handbook & catalogue are also with it, I remember mum using it almost every day it is the 201k such a heavy duty machine it was used in factories for industrial use a claim to fame was View attachment 54849View attachment 54850View attachment 54851as used by rolls Royce to do their leather upholstery

That's exactly the make, model, cabinet and modifications that my Mum had!
Thanks very much for posting, Ken. You've certainly brought back some memories there - mainly happy ones.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

i learnt to sew on my mother's singer, just like that one . i briefly worked for Sanderson's fabrics ,and managed to silkscreen my own pattern on some material ,and made myself a shirt .

My neighbour, who we called grandma, had a model same as this! Brings back memories of her sewing room where she had literally anything we needed in the sewing line...drawers full of cottons, buttons, fasteners, zips, fabric. She was always in there making something. Unfortunately she developed dementia and the house was sold by the office of public trust who just gave all the contents to the new owner who sold them wholesale to a house clearance, except for valuable bits! So sad!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back