Old But Working Gadgets

agree colin my dad always used to say he must have predrilled for that to be so easy, they do pozidrive drivers for the yankee now colin but more usefully they do a 1/4” hexagonal socket head so you can put any bit in you want that has modernised it substantially,

I and sure ive a old bbc computer up in the loft which my father bought i think he payed some thing like 12 hundred quid for got to be back in the god knows when lol

I and sure ive a old bbc computer up in the loft which my father bought i think he payed some thing like 12 hundred quid for got to be back in the god knows when lol

Perhaps if you get a chance you could let us know what you have, Jeff? Some years ago £1200 for a (home?) computer would have been an awful lot of money!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

This belonged to my father in law he put it on every car he ever owned. I’m afraid to put it on a car in case it gets lost or stolen probably not worth much but it’s the sentimental value that counts. I’ve got a very old Apple computer up in the loft in the original box been there for over 20 years I’ll dig it out9440D905-8FF6-4367-B433-087A234ECAF7.jpeg

I’ve got a twin to your AA badge Wully... it dates from the year I was born. You can look up the number on the internet to find out what year it was. Mine’s not a family heirloom though... I bought it myself many years ago but, like you, I’m scared to fit it to the car or the van.

I also have a garage full of man cave stuff... a lot of which used to belong to my Dad. There’s an old wooden plane and a hand drill which I think Dad called a bit and brace? I could be wrong. Probably a good trip down memory lane for someone who knows what they’re all for but most are a mystery to me. I’ve definitely got a screwdriver like your picture Mr Brown. I must get some photos one day, so you can tell me what they all are :giggle:

Edit to say.... Wully, I looked up your badge number and it seems to date from 1958.

I've got a ZX 81 in the loft that we got for our son, but I've got an ancient Avo Meter that we got from Sues' dad that can be up for grabs if anyone can give it a home

I've got a ZX 81 in the loft that we got for our son, but I've got an ancient Avo Meter that we got from Sues' dad that can be up for grabs if anyone can give it a home

The thought of an Avo Meter brought back memories of being a young engineer before the days of electronic devices and quickened my pulse, oppy.
I'd love to offer your Avo Meter a good home and am happy to pay for the privilege or make a donation in your name to a charity of your choice.
BTW, do I recall you seeking out a 12V TV a while ago?

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

I’ve got a twin to your AA badge Wully... it dates from the year I was born. You can look up the number on the internet to find out what year it was. Mine’s not a family heirloom though... I bought it myself many years ago but, like you, I’m scared to fit it to the car or the van.

I also have a garage full of man cave stuff... a lot of which used to belong to my Dad. There’s an old wooden plane and a hand drill which I think Dad called a bit and brace? I could be wrong. Probably a good trip down memory lane for someone who knows what they’re all for but most are a mystery to me. I’ve definitely got a screwdriver like your picture Mr Brown. I must get some photos one day, so you can tell me what they all are :giggle:

Edit to say.... Wully, I looked up your badge number and it seems to date from 1958.

Thanks for the link, Jennie. Your post reminded me that I had an AA badge - I'll try to find it!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

I'll take the AVO please, I have turned a couple into pretty cool lamps before. Nice for it to have a use, not just stuck in a shed!

20200613_103332.jpg

The thought of an Avo Meter brought back memories of being a young engineer before the days of electronic devices and quickened my pulse, oppy.
I'd love to offer your Avo Meter a good home and am happy to pay for the privilege or make a donation in your name to a charity of your choice.
BTW, do I recall you seeking out a 12V TV a while ago?

Colin 🙂🙂🙂
'Tis yours, pm your details and sometime in the next week I'll ship it off. As usual it's a freebie, but I may have to sting you for postage, we'll see. Yes I was and still am after a telly. One of our members offered me one some time ago but, I think, due to the current situation we were unable to follow through.
Peter

IMG_3349.JPGIMG_3350.JPG

Reactions: 2cv
Bugger, missed that!

It could so easily have been the other way around, Steve.
I hope to see you and the family in a hot, lush green field sometime later in the summer.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, Jennie. Your post reminded me that I had an AA badge - I'll try to find it!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

I'm still hunting for the AA member's badge, but have in the meantime found this:

IMG_20200614_083542.jpg

At least I'm on the right track!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Talking of skips a chap who sold us and got us some work using belzona products was coming out of a gym in Bangor Co Down when he seen two oil paintings in a skip outside a old house which was being renavated,lifted them and went to his house,a few days later his mate a art seller took them to london for auction,sold both for 20 grand,i now always look in skips and thats where im heading to night as i have spotted one local.:D

Copied from the original post:

'Please note that humans are not admissable in this instance!'

How on earth was the need for that sentence predicted, oppy ? 🤔😂🤣

Colin 🙂🙂🙂
bright are we, turn it up,you do not make the rules, so stick you head in, no likey had luck. ok whats next? ok.pj. be happy ok

I love old things I have my grandma’s tv table which I remember in her house in the 50s it has the iconic metal hairpin legs and the top swivels on top is a Sona tea set from the 70s, I also have 2 singer sewing machines both dated late 40s one was converted to electric they don’t get used much these days maybe it’s time to part with them.

View attachment 54777View attachment 54778
oh no you dont ok.pj

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back