One for 2 CV .....Bill.

runnach

Found this on another site, Bill. What a cracking image.

This is the only photograph of Concorde flying at supersonic speed. It was taken by Adrian Meredith who was flying in an RAF Tornado jet during a rendezvous with the Concorde over the Irish Sea in April 1985.

Although the Tornado could match Concorde’s cruising speed it could only do so for a matter of minutes due to the enormous rate of fuel consumption. Several attempts were made to take the photo, and eventually the Concorde had to slow down from Mach 2 to Mach 1.5-1.6 so that the Tornado crew could get the shot.

After racing to catch the Concorde and struggling to keep up, the Tornado broke off the rendezvous after just four minutes, while Concorde cruised serenely on to JFK

1662480037801.png

I always wanted to fly concord just never got round to it nearest I got was a tour inside the one at the museum at East fortune. Very tight for space but a stunning looking thing. that photo really dose it justice brilliant.

Air Traffic Controller's closing thought in his 1976 Institute of Bankers After Dinner Speech:

'Concorde flies at Mach 1.3 at 50,000 feet, so the only thing you're likely to see is a] the other Concorde flying the return journey; or b] an American Space Rocket bound for the Moon. So why the bloody hell do they put curtains on the bog windows? Who's going to be able to look in?'

Steve

Air Traffic Controller's closing thought in his 1976 Institute of Bankers After Dinner Speech:

'Concorde flies at Mach 1.3 at 50,000 feet, so the only thing you're likely to see is a] the other Concorde flying the return journey; or b] an American Space Rocket bound for the Moon. So why the bloody hell do they put curtains on the bog windows? Who's going to be able to look in?'

Steve
Tornado pilot?

Bill, what are your thoughts on why this Concorde is allowed to sit outside and rot?
Originally it was planned to incorporate it in T5 when it was built, either next to it or hanging. This turned out to be impractical so it has been donated to BAA. There is little remaining of the inside but BA apprentices do tend to it every 6 months or so. There is currently a plan to disassemble it and rebuild it as an attraction in central London by the London Eye. There’s great detail on the fleet Here
Detail on that particular Concorde Here

Originally it was planned to incorporate it in T5 when it was built, either next to it or hanging. This turned out to be impractical so it has been donated to BAA. There is little remaining of the inside but BA apprentices do tend to it every 6 months or so. There is currently a plan to disassemble it and rebuild it as an attraction in central London by the London Eye. There’s great detail on the fleet Here
Detail on that particular Concorde Here
A real shame this particular Concorde has been basically vandalised. If aircraft was kept as original, it could have been an earner at some high profile facility. Same idea as the aircraft located at Museum of Flight, Drem, East Lothian, which Wully has mentioned.

Your fleet link had me delving into my memory archives, late 60's, early 70's, I was a member of 1739 SQD air cadets. During an airshow SQD attended at Turnhouse, Concorde flew over. Geez, how could I forget that!

I'll never forget witnessing my first Shuttle launch, FLA, daytime launch, a couple year later, nighttime launch.

I remember the first time I heard Concorde taking off from Heathrow some time in 1975 it must been still on the runway the noise was so loud it was a while before it came over the transport yard where I worked it came over so low and slow what a sight to see I was told it was a test flight

The first time I heard Concorde was in August 1975, walking along deserted 80 Mile Beach in northern West Australia. I spotted a tiny plane very high up, and about half a minute later there was a sonic boom. Very strange experience in what felt like the middle of nowhere. Apparently it was on a test flight from UK to Sydney.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back