Onerous fee

all the more reason to spend your money in a motorhome friendly place "Europe " like we do would not dream of spending our enjoyment money in RIP OFF BROKEN BRITAIN .when the time comes to stop going over the water we will pack touring in & sell the m/h . cheyenne

This will never work, I could technically drive around the NC500 route ( I hate that term ) in a day without stopping over night, so a tax charge if applied, cannot be taken if not stopping over. The article is spot on where it states this will cost more to monitor than will brought in to cooncil coffers.

We already pay visitor tax in regulated campsites and Aires in parts of Italy, Germany, Austria and Switzerland etc. particularly in Alpine regions and national parks…such as Black Forest, Harz Mountains etc.

The money raised supports free public transport (useful) and many discounts on local attractions, trips, restaurants etc. We sometimes find the benefits useful when staying a few days, but for our normal short stops of little benefit.

I’m not aware however of anywhere that attempts to charge such in unregulated car parks.

I wouldn’t particularly resent a small tax in campsites and Aires if this resulted in a marked improvement in provision of facilities which small communities are clearly struggling to fund. However my natural skepticism suspects most would disappear into council coffers for purposes of little benefit to either tourists or motorhomes ( the UK factor).

all the more reason to spend your money in a motorhome friendly place "Europe " like we do would not dream of spending our enjoyment money in RIP OFF BROKEN BRITAIN .when the time comes to stop going over the water we will pack touring in & sell the m/h . cheyenne
Our feelings Exactly last18 yrs never done any UK trips but spent between 6 to 9 mths a year in Europe

Totally, totally agree cheyenne. And you can buy a LOT of cruises for the price of a used motorhome. We don't go on cruises to anywhere we could drive to. As an example we have recently been across the Atlantic to the Caribbean, down Brazil, across to the Falkland Islands, round Cape Horn, up Chile, Peru, through the Panama Canal, back round Caribbean islands and back to Southampton for £27 per person per night. Cheaper than parking your motorhome on someone's grass in the UK.
Last year we did 5 weeeks in Germany, the average cost per night was 30 cents which was the cost of occasional water, toilet and parking over the holiday.
Last month we were 3 weeks in France. Guess what? Site fees: nil.

Totally, totally agree cheyenne. And you can buy a LOT of cruises for the price of a used motorhome. We don't go on cruises to anywhere we could drive to. As an example we have recently been across the Atlantic to the Caribbean, down Brazil, across to the Falkland Islands, round Cape Horn, up Chile, Peru, through the Panama Canal, back round Caribbean islands and back to Southampton for £27 per person per night. Cheaper than parking your motorhome on someone's grass in the UK.
Last year we did 5 weeeks in Germany, the average cost per night was 30 cents which was the cost of occasional water, toilet and parking over the holiday.
Last month we were 3 weeks in France. Guess what? Site fees: nil.
Sounds like a fair bit of fuel though! Great journey.

Our feelings Exactly last18 yrs never done any UK trips but spent between 6 to 9 mths a year in Europe
hi. yes your right its not the money as we are comfortably off its the principle of getting ripped off for overnight stops in the uk. plus like france has the same population as us BUT the country is twice the size so plenty of open roads & trying different foods & better weather . this was us on a camping car park site in the alps 12 euros a night . cheyenne

DSC00008.JPG

We have pretty much done Scotland to the death, rarely on a site. What area is best? The million dollar question! One area that does peak high is the Outer Hebrides, absolutely stunning and not to be forgotten.

Pretty much novices within Europe with the motorhome, much to learn and much to see and do, however, I do plan to have a last lap around my country, pop onto Mull would be my only island.

Sounds like a fair bit of fuel though! Great journey.
The only fuel we used was getting to and from Southampton. The ship paid for all its fuel which was included in our £54/night for two people.
Cheyenne: I think you'll find that France has eight times the land area of the UK, hence the wide open roads with little traffic.

The only fuel we used was getting to and from Southampton. The ship paid for all its fuel which was included in our £54/night for two people.
Cheyenne: I think you'll find that France has eight times the land area of the UK, hence the wide open roads with little traffic.
France actually covers about 2.3 times the area of the UK, with a similar population number.

OK but I have read eight times in a couple of places. Anyway it doesn't matter, there are more important things to consider, such as French Croissants and Baguettes which alone are a good reason to go. 👨‍🍳

OK but I have read eight times in a couple of places. Anyway it doesn't matter, there are more important things to consider, such as French Croissants and Baguettes which alone are a good reason to go. 👨‍🍳
You forgot to mention Aubrac Steak...................I.m drooling just thinking about this steak......😍

hmmm. never heard of that.

hmmm. never heard of that.
See post 270 & 272 😳

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back