Opt out / presumed consent.

Allen

Opt out / presumed consent.

I'm curious to hear your views, as it is being suggested that England should follow Wales and adopt this system for organ donation.
Personally I think it's well overdue, but I suppose I'm biased, being on the transplant register.

I agree with you, long overdue, I'm registered on the organ donor register and have been for years, was a regular blood donor until they moved the venue and made it appointment only, with my work and looking after my wife I couldn't always plan 3 to 4 months ahead.

Graham

I live in Wales and I am English. When Wales opted me in without my consent, I opted out. I make my decisions not the WAGs in Cardiff. TBH if they had given me a choice I may have opted in but, they didn't.

As far as the system in Wales goes, if you look into it, I think you will see that it is not the resounding success they were suggesting it would be, which is hardly surprising.

In my opinion, if politicians had allowed the health service to manage the process, there would have been a different outcome for many people.

No matter what your wishes are, when you fall off you perch you no longer have ownership of your bits and pieces. So no matter what your wishes are, the ownership of your body belongs to your next of kin, so if they find that using you as a spare parts department abhorrent, you either go into the ground or up the chimney--Opt out is the fairest system as far as I am concerned. On the 13th of November my father died, when my niece and I read his will we found that he had left his body to Leeds University for clinical research, so we contacted them about collecting his remains. Because we actually owned the body, it was incredible (and upsetting) the amount of bumph and red tape we had to go through, anyway 'tis all done now. So opt out is the way to go !!!!

Here in ireland folk who are religious would not do it because it says in there bible that the body raises from the grave and ascends into heaven,so if you have been dismembered this may not be possable as some bits may still be alive inside someone else.
Others say its only the sole which goes up ,no body required,but what parts is the sole in,some for the above will not cremate.

Think you got the wrong end of the stick there Trev. It reads to me as if Peter complied with his dad's wishes but it was a long winded job.

As to the original question, Think opt out is the way to go.

Cheers

H

Winks;n12598 said:
Think you got the wrong end of the stick there Trev. It reads to me as if Peter complied with his dad's wishes but it was a long winded job.

As to the original question, Think opt out is the way to go.

Cheers

H

Sorry post canceled.

I don't object to it, when you see the difference it can make. Something I do wonder about though is, if it's successful, is there going to be more money put into the system to fund the transplants. They never seem to want to make more funds available though they are desperately needed.

Yes I am for the opt out because the people you leave behind are not in any state to make that descission, that is unless they bumped you off them they won't care ?

teejay;n12583 said:
I live in Wales and I am English. When Wales opted me in without my consent, I opted out. I make my decisions not the WAGs in Cardiff. TBH if they had given me a choice I may have opted in but, they didn't.

As far as the system in Wales goes, if you look into it, I think you will see that it is not the resounding success they were suggesting it would be, which is hardly surprising.

In my opinion, if politicians had allowed the health service to manage the process, there would have been a different outcome for many people.
I would opt out too, politicians aleady have too much power.

Regards,
Del

yp iam for it opt out i am on my own and by the time they found someoen then it could be too late on my old paper licence i opt in

Would be a long queue of slapheads on the transplant list for your hair Barry.:Smiling_Emoji_with_

These stats make it a no-brainer for me, besides, you are dead so you don't need your organs anymore.

Almost 49,000 people in the UK have endured the wait for an organ transplant in the last 10 years and over 6,000, including 270 children, have died before receiving the transplant they desperately needed, new statistics reveal.

The figures released today by NHS Blood and Transplant (20/11/15) coincide with the launch of a new organ donation campaign ‘The Wait’ to highlight the true scale of the donor organ shortage.

Of the almost 7,000* patients currently on the UK’s transplant waiting list, 30% have been waiting more than two years. More than 500 of them have been waiting longer than five years – that’s over 1,800 days each.

It hasn't worked in Wales apparently because family are still asked and many overturn the deceased wishes. There has been hardly any increase in the number of organs available for transplant in Wales due to families overturning the presumed consent. Perhaps it needs to be made legally binding.

Organ donation in my view is the most precious gift anyone dying could give to another human being, man's humanity at its best.

I often wonder about those that have strong views against it, either religious or big brother government, would they on such strong principles also refuse a transplant if they were in need ????

Make it legally binding as Paul suggested.

Piers

Not opt-in/out directly.

I used to have a Donor Card, but do not know what hapened to it.

However, if I get another one does the system operate internationally? If not there is not a lot of point as I am usually only in the UK 3-4 days a year.

Geoff

When or would it stop. Or would it turn into a business of harvesting organs to sell to the rest of the world if a point came where the requirements of the NHS were met and a surplus of organs were available.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back