Origo alcohol stove

Vanterrier

Anyone on here use one of these? Its a twin burner Dometic Origo Two model in brand new unused and boxed condition. I have not used one before, I dont even know where to get the fuel ?
Your comments and advice would be appreciated.
K ;)20220201_134430.jpg

Alcohol stoves that I have had in the past have burned methylated spirit. It looks like bioethanol could be the preferred fuel as I read something about meths being banned in the EU.

Last edited:
Anyone on here use one of these? Its a twin burner Dometic Origo Two model in brand new unused and boxed condition. I have not used one before, I dont even know where to get the fuel ?
Your comments and advice would be appreciated.
K ;)View attachment 62067
Double version of one of these I guess...

Rather have my double petrol Coleman OR the triple one If I want to use the ammo box oven personally ;-).

I had a, 2 burner origo on my sailboat for many years , my first problem was only able to find 500 ml of meths ,then I found an outlet 5 litre containers that made it as cheap as chips to run , not as hot as gas but served us well for many years , a great stove plus no gas bottles , ideal for a self build ,they also do an alcohol heater that works on the same principle ,

We had one on a sailing boat - they were considered by some as safer than gas in a boat. It heated quite well but you have to be careful as the flame is nearly invisible - wife caught her hair alight from it once. Also even with the cover on the burner, the meths would evaporate away between uses. If you can find the meths in bulk, it wasn't too expensive, but its a bit of a sweet sickly smell, and we much preferred the convenience of the gas stove on the next boat we had. Their one beauty is their simplicity and no plumbing required.

Methylated spirit is readily available. Screwfix sells 500ml bottles for £2.99 (clicky link); Amazon has a selection, including 5L for £18.99 (clicky link); others are available.
FWIW, many years ago, I made my own meths stoves from drink cans (e.g. Coca Cola) that I used for cycle touring. These were brilliant because, complete with pot stand, they only weighed a few ounces and the heaviest component was the fuel (meths). I'd previously used Trangia meths stoves (possible alterative to the Dometic item?). However, IME all meths stoves impart a taste to whatever it is you're cooking -- even if that's just the water for a cuppa!

The beauty of this one is its portable so can be fixed to a bench with pot holders and gimbals or left portable for picnics or just stashed away after use.
I think I will sell it as I cannot think of when I would use it...
20220206_092114.jpg20220206_092526.jpg
20220206_092334.jpg20220206_092349.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back