Orkneys, have you been?

alun100

I am planning to go to the Orkneys for the last 2 weeks of August arriving at St Margaret’s Hope and wild camping most of the time. We want to travel to as many of the islands as we can in the van but I am struggling to find details of the inter island ferries on the internet. Is it possible to travel between the various islands on a car ferry or will I need to come back to Kirkwall from each one before going to the next? Thanks

My partner used to live on Orkney Island. He had a small farm there. Theres loads of places to park. Lots of lovely coastlines. We suggest you contact the Orkney Island Tourist Board to secure or arrange the ferry passages. The ferries can be quite costly depending on the size of your van. I am sure the tourist board will be able to assist you in the most economical way to island hop. Hope this helps. Have a lovely time.

My partner used to live on Orkney Island. He had a small farm there. Theres loads of places to park. Lots of lovely coastlines. We suggest you contact the Orkney Island Tourist Board to secure or arrange the ferry passages. The ferries can be quite costly depending on the size of your van. I am sure the tourist board will be able to assist you in the most economical way to island hop. Hope this helps. Have a lovely time.
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I have emailed the tourist office so hopefully will get a reply from them. Do you know if there are midges or mossys there in August or are they kept away by the sea breeze?
Thanks again

I live on one of the Northern Isles of Orkney (Westray).

There are loads of places to wild camp in Orkney (on all the islands) and there are a fair number of campsites too if that's your preference.

As for travelling between the island, yes I'm afraid you will need to return to Orkney Mainland between each island trips as there are no car ferries between the individual outer isles.

You can get all the fares and timetables at Orkney Ferries.

No midges or mossies to speak of, well certainly not on Westray.

Thanks for the replies. Yes it looked like you needed to go back to Mainland with each trip. The more I research the more I find things to see so I am sure we will have a great time

Thanks for your replies, all very helpful. Looks like we won’t be going after all as other ‘stuff’ has now cropped up but hopefully will get there next May instead

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back