OUR FUTURE MOTOR HOME.

Mtbcol

Hello.
We've decided after lengthy discussions, for our next vehicle, to move away from a self build campervan to a coach built motorhome. This won't be for another year, but would just like a bit of help to narrow it down to some possible options, as we've only ever had a self built van and are not clued up as to what's available. So we are looking for a two berth, fixed bed, with shower, WC, around 6 meter length, and on a chassis as were fed up with having sills etc. welded up. We understand that some habitation units are one piece so less chance of leaks. We can't afford brand new, and are looking for max price of £25,000, but would definitely consider cheaper and older (less electronic stuff to go wrong on the engine etc).
Any ideas gratefully received.

Thank you.

Colin.

So we are looking for a two berth, fixed bed, with shower, WC, around 6 meter length, and on a chassis

So that’s your spec there are hundreds for sale pick a few and see if they are right for you if not move on to another.
As you said you have a year or so to look.

I'd never go for the fixed bed, a waste of space option, after 11 vans (buying and selling to pay for the hobby) since 2006 including my high spec self-build we now have this, it isn't the flashiest van we've had by far but it is great to drive, good on fuel and has and does everything we've needed for four years, our vans are normally gone in six months for the next project.

We use it as two single beds, not a large king size and it's is fine for us.

Fixed bed can be an excellent option. It depends on intended use, whether you want a lounge or a dinette arrangement... I have twin beds with an infill effectively creating a large double and providing two large hanging lockers with shelves, plus a large garage. It works for me (to the extent that when the first was stolen I ended up buying its replacement from the continent as no identical vehicle was then available in the UK).

Fixed bed can be an excellent option. It depends on intended use, whether you want a lounge or a dinette arrangement... I have twin beds with an infill effectively creating a large double and providing two large hanging lockers with shelves, plus a large garage. It works for me (to the extent that when the first was stolen I ended up buying its replacement from the continent as no identical vehicle was then available in the UK).
We have a fixed bed in our self build, and it does suit us, but we know we may have to compromise.

So we are looking for a two berth, fixed bed, with shower, WC, around 6 meter length, and on a chassis

So that’s your spec there are hundreds for sale pick a few and see if they are right for you if not move on to another.
As you said you have a year or so to look
I'd never go for the fixed bed, a waste of space option, after 11 vans (buying and selling to pay for the hobby) since 2006 including my high spec self-build we now have this, it isn't the flashiest van we've had by far but it is great to drive, good on fuel and has and does everything we've needed for four years, our vans are normally gone in six months for the next project.

Thanks Pudsey we've had a fixed bed for several years and it does suit us, but we are aware, as I've mentioned, we may need to compromise. We are interested in the style you have. Is it on a chassis cab? As said have had a lot of welding on sills etc on our transit panel van conversion.

As you said you have a year or so to look.
Excellent advice, wish I'd thought of that.🙄

Thanks Pudsey. We like the look of that, is that on a chassis cab build? We've had a fixed bed for a few years and it does suit us, but as said, we are aware we may need to compromise. I suppose moving rucksacks etc. off of our fixed bed would be no difference to making up a non fixed. As long as we had an over cab space to put the stuff we may need to have on the unconverted bed. Maybe we need a 3 berth? 🤔Good job we've got a fair bit of time to decide, we're going to need it 😁

Yes, it's a C class coachbuilt by Swift, it's been a very solid van but no over cab as we found most stuff would go under the bed via the outside locker its a big space approx 2 foot by 6 foot both sides of the van

I have a mobility scooter in the Hab doorway so a lot of stuff gets piled there, I fitted a pair of coat hooks on a pine patress in the doorway, I plan to put on on the bathroom wall screwed right through the wall into one above & behind the driver's seat at some point, Liz seems to have two coats for every day we go away :D :D

Yes, it's a C class coachbuilt by Swift, it's been a very solid van but no over cab as we found most stuff would go under the bed via the outside locker its a big space approx 2 foot by 6 foot both sides of the van

I have a mobility scooter in the Hab doorway so a lot of stuff gets piled there, I fitted a pair of coat hooks on a pine patress in the doorway, I plan to put on on the bathroom wall screwed right through the wall into one above & behind the driver's seat at some point, Liz seems to have two coats for every day we go away :D :D
Excuse my ignorance, but as I say, new to motorhomes. I assume if a vehicle is a C class then it's built on a chassis cab then? Ok, may be enough under bed storage then anyway. We off grid quite a bit, what's the roof like for solar space, and the garage for battery and electrics? Yes, we'll definitely clothes and coat storage, Carol is the same 😁.

A Class =
1727176862489.png

B Class (or self build or PVC) =

1727176936565.png

C Class = can be built onto a Chassis cab but most are on a chassis Cowl, a cab with no roof so you can stand up, I think the ones with an over cab bed are chassis cabs to give more strength.
1727177029388.png

Apart from the PVC selfbuild van type they all have a chassis, the A classes may have an Alco chassis and some C class vans can also have a Also chassis or and an Alco chassis extension, fun huh?

As for roof space for solar, that will depend on the van and how much solar you actually need, for that you need to understand how many watts you will need everything has a data plate telling you that add maybe 25% to that, we only have a 85w panel feeding via an MPPT controller to one 110 ah battery, all the lights are LED (a must) we need to charge 3 tablets (not every day) two phones which need to be charged but we mostly do all that while driving as we drive every day approx 50 miles so we could actually exsist most of the time without solar, NO TV etc the only thing other thing is we have a Bestek 300w inverter to charge my laptop if I take it and the Dyson vaccum, and 100% wild camp so no EHU to charge anything ever.

We're all here to help, you may get conflicting answers as we all see it differently, but ask away, it's cheaper to do it now that when you've bought the wrong van :D :D

A Class =
View attachment 74247

B Class (or self build or PVC) =

View attachment 74248

C Class = can be built onto a Chassis cab but most are on a chassis Cowl, a cab with no roof so you can stand up, I think the ones with an over cab bed are chassis cabs to give more strength.
View attachment 74249

Apart from the PVC selfbuild van type they all have a chassis, the A classes may have an Alco chassis and some C class vans can also have a Also chassis or and an Alco chassis extension, fun huh?

As for roof space for solar, that will depend on the van and how much solar you actually need, for that you need to understand how many watts you will need everything has a data plate telling you that add maybe 25% to that, we only have a 85w panel feeding via an MPPT controller to one 110 ah battery, all the lights are LED (a must) we need to charge 3 tablets (not every day) two phones which need to be charged but we mostly do all that while driving as we drive every day approx 50 miles so we could actually exsist most of the time without solar, NO TV etc the only thing other thing is we have a Bestek 300w inverter to charge my laptop if I take it and the Dyson vaccum, and 100% wild camp so no EHU to charge anything ever.

We're all here to help, you may get conflicting answers as we all see it differently, but ask away, it's cheaper to do it now that when you've bought the wrong van :D :D
Absolutely brilliant! Thank you for that. We have our off grid stuff already sorted on our panel van conversion, it's just a matter of will it all fit in/on our future purchase. Were trying to get away from the panel van type as input experience there's always welding needed to sills etc. and although I understand all will have a chassis, the less other metal there is to repair the better! Again, thank you, I'm much better informed already🙂👍

You will of course have sills on the cab but any Fiat after 2001 I think has a zinc batch at the factory to help prevent rust, Mercedes are prone to rust regardless.

If going Fiat Citroen or Peugeot get post 07 as they are the best ones to drive, and of course parts are better to get too.

Mine is a C class, low line (no overcab bed). It was a Sprinter chassis/cab when it left the factory but is what Kev refers to as a cowl, most of cab roof cut off. Different makes may be different but I don’t think the bit of tin on the cab roof has much, if any, effect on strength, it’s in the A and B pillars I believe. Not that is matter lol

If you are wanting a fixed bed in a van up to 6 metres that isn’t a drop down or overcab I think you may struggle. Mine is fixed French bed with L shaped bathroom/shower going behind the bed but it is 7.5mtrs long. I don’t find space a problem with the fixed bed but it depends if you want to hold dances inside and general layout :)

As you can see in the two pics that extra 1.5mtrs makes a big difference. I think it really will be a case of trawling the ads to try and narrow down a few then having a look in person if possible but you already know that. Good luck anyway 👍
1727181312515.jpeg

1727181344583.jpeg

Mine is a C class, low line (no overcab bed). It was a Sprinter chassis/cab when it left the factory but is what Kev refers to as a cowl, most of cab roof cut off. Different makes may be different but I don’t think the bit of tin on the cab roof has much, if any, effect on strength, it’s in the A and B pillars I believe.
The difference is quite important Niel, the A pillars are on both connected over the windscreen but only on the chassis cab are the B pillars connected and give a hugely solid bridge for the overcab bed.

Also from the factory, if it is a chassis cowl it will have some strength built back in by a perimeter beam to put the strength back in.

One of the joys of being a courier is I got to into a Swift factory up in Hull.

You will of course have sills on the cab but any Fiat after 2001 I think has a zinc batch at the factory to help prevent rust, Mercedes are prone to rust regardless.

If going Fiat Citroen or Peugeot get post 07 as they are the best ones to drive, and of course parts are better to get too.
Thank you Pudsey. Very useful info 🙂

Back