Our ( very nearly) finished van!

Section 4. D.5 Body type. Is this what everyone wants stating (Motorhome) ?
What I want is the Taxation class to say "Motorhome" Not PLGV or PHGV

Mark
IF the van gets reclassified as requested, then Field 'D.5 Body Type' will be changed to "Motor Caravan" - as below

LT46 - Phase 3
by David, on Flickr

The Taxation Class will not alter from its original entry unless you are also changing the weight above or below 3.5t.
In the case of the above vehicle, when I bought it it was a 4.6t 17 Seater Minibus and registered for some unknown reason as a PLG (Private/Light Goods)

LT46 - Phase 1
by David, on Flickr

I first changed it to a "Van/Side Windows" with 7 seats whilst also changing it to a Private HGV (which I think it should have been anyway at 4600Kg!)
P.S. I changed the taxation class without any change in documentation or certificates as the revenue weight already clearly showed 4600kg!

LT46 - Phase 2
by David, on Flickr

And then changing to "Motor Caravan" as the first picture shows.

The things that people seem to get hung up on APART from the "Motor Caravan" part are:
(X) Taxation Class - that doesn't change unless weight changes as said above
J Vehicle Category - again that will not change from an N (Goods Category) to M (Passenger Category) even if the use of the vehicle changes use from van to passenger (which is what a Motor Caravan is of course). So many people are adament that their allowed speed limit is defined by the entry in the Vehicle Category, which it clearly is not. (If it were, then what is the limit for my vehicle, where the Vehicle Category is blank?).
The Speed Limit is defined by a combination of factors including Body Type, size and usage of the vehicle, but not Vehicle Category. It is the speed limit that not getting classification to "Motor Caravan" is maybe the most impactful for most - as if your camper conversion gets reclassifed as a "Van/Side Windows" it is still regarded as a Commercial Vehicle in Law (despite the legal requirement for DVLA to reclassify it) and is still subject to the speed limits of a van as per the link just above.

All the above is my opinion. Don't base any actions on the above and do your own research.

I'm sure it's not my imagination, but can anyone remember going to the post office for a new tax disc and showing that it's taxation class was Motorhome or Motorcaravan? Mind you this was well over 20 years ago.

Yes, they were a complete pain in the a55. Things like this insurance is a photocopy, no, it's printed on a laser printer. Your MOT looks forged. Jesus....
It is this kind of thing that is usually done with insurance, MOTs and lots of other things that make it a bit of a joke when people say you must take "original" documents - when the original is printed off on plain paper and is no different to 100 other copies that could be printed off!

Even some of the professional converters are having their vehicles refused. They are coming back as " van with side windows"

An update on the dot gov website now states: Therefore, the body type will not be changed unless the exterior of the vehicle actually appears to be a motor home."

Even some of the professional converters are having their vehicles refused. They are coming back as " van with side windows"

An update on the dot gov website now states: Therefore, the body type will not be changed unless the exterior of the vehicle actually appears to be a motor home."

And then under that goes on to say if..... must be by law motor caravan.

I still think it would be possible to argue if you're assertive enough.

Does anyone know the real reason why they don't want to use the motor caravan status?

And what the hell is a motor HOME.

I didn't think that had any standing in legal stuff?

Muppets lol

Reactions: Rec
Is it to do with the road fund licence? Does that mean that where the parking of "motor caravans / motorhomes" is banned, one can now park as not in that category? ?

And what the hell is a motor HOME.

I didn't think that had any standing in legal stuff?

Muppets lol
The problem is the English Law (and I did mean to type English, not British or UK) system is based on so much ambiguity it is very hard to to categorical about just about anything. Overall it is to our benefit even though it may not seem so.

When it comes to converting Vans to Campers, just be greatful you are not in Spain, Italy, Portugal, France, Ireland, Australia and probably lots more. Most of which we take for granted would not be allowed. Inspections, re-registration taxes, certifications, etc. would be needed at the very least and some Countries allow no self-conversions at all - and some even minor modifications.
So this current "blip" in the wider picture comparing to other Countries is pretty minor as it doesn't really change what you are allowed to do, drive, MOT and insure. That could easily change!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back