Out of date food stuff.

Back in the late 1980's and early 1990's I worked for a major wholesaler. We were involved with the implementation of the currently used use by/sell by date system. And what a load of rubbish they are! Salt, been in the ground for millions of years had a sell by date! For goodness sake, it's a preservative!

But what was evident is that the dates on food is not real, it is the date that it needs to be used if
A. it has proper storage at the manufacturer.
B. It has near good storage at the retailer and
C. if you are a numpty and don't store it properly at home.
It is lowest common denominator! Our storage is very good and even items like yoghurts can be consumed way after the date. We have eyes as our first line of defence, noses as the second and taste as the third, although it should never get that far!

The scheme mentioned in the OP is great. If the food comes from a reputable source and is stored correctly, saves thousands of tonnes going to landfill and feeds those in need. Wim/win!

well just well not just it was on tv last night a 40 year old plum pudding peferctly safe tested by scientest

Regarding food labeling - a few facts.

There is no such thing as a ‘Sell By’ date.

For consumers there are two types of legally required information regarding dates, ‘Use By’ and ‘Best Before’.

‘Use By’
is for products that could present a danger to health if consumed after the date shown i.e. cooked meats, fish etc.

‘Best Before’ is for products that will not be at their best after the date shown, but present no major health risk i.e cakes, biscuits etc.

Suppliers and retailers may add other information that is not legally required, but will assist with stock control.

oldish hippy;n12682 said:
well just well not just it was on tv last night a 40 year old plum pudding peferctly safe tested by scientest

I don't understand why people pay a premium price for extra matured christmas puds.
Buy one this year to put away for next year or the year after.

yorkslass;n12721 said:
I don't understand why people pay a premium price for extra matured christmas puds.
Buy one this year to put away for next year or the year after.
Have to agree with that, I am a compulsive Xmas pud buyer and we eat Xmas pud year round , love it, Ice cream or custard, or brandy sauce, back to the dark room for a think about that hee hee.

Trigger;n12788 said:
Have to agree with that, I am a compulsive Xmas pud buyer and we eat Xmas pud year round , love it, Ice cream or custard, or brandy sauce, back to the dark room for a think about that hee hee.

Even cheaper when you buy them after Christmas.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back