Outer Hebrides short tour

The road to Husinish is about 13 miles of very narrow single track road. It can test your nerves a bit, but it's a brilliant route and well worth the effort. I believe that wild camping there isn't encouraged because you can stay overnight on the car park or a nearby dedicated motorhome area. If you have a small van then the car park is fine, if you're van is 6 metres or more go to the motorhome site a couple of hundred metres before the visitors centre. It's all donations for your stay and the toilet and showers are excellent. You need to pay £3 for chemical disposal.

We loved it there and ended up popping back before we returned home.

A bit of advice. The highland cattle are very friendly and will stand in the middle of the road and watch you. Do NOT be tempted to drive round them, most of the single track roads have deep drainage ditches either side. Your better of getting out of the van and asking them politely to move :)

To be honest you can't go far wrong anywhere on the islands. Have a great trip
Thank you for this advice , much appreciated.

We just did it between (during) the two big storms in February. Two nights at Fort William waiting for the CalMac to restart, then a very rough crossing from Oban to Castlebay (ever seen a sea-sick labrador? I have) Only one night on Barra as the locals were saying all the ferries would be cancelled by storm Ciara...and they were. I think we were the only tourists there! On Barra we watched a couple of planes land on the beach, walked the beach behind the huge sand-dunes by the airport and visited Vatersay. There's a popular cafe at the airport but no dogs allowed. Castlebay Post Office makes a fantastic pot of tea and scones, and likes dogs. Apparently the postmistress bakes scones daily even when the place is stormbound in February. We used the campsite at borve barracamping.co.uk which was small but great. Much of the todos were found with: https://www.visitouterhebrides.co.uk/ nearly anything needing staff much was closed in February! We got to Eriskay just as the storm hit and then could go no further as all ferries stopped. The first night we stayed at https://kilbride-campsite.business.site/ again the only ones there. After five days we had seen all we could given the biting wind and horizontal rain so bailed out and got the last/only ferry from Lock Maddy to Skye before the D storm (Dennis?) arrived. After day 1 on the Uists we wild camped wherever we could get out of the wind! Back on terra firma we wended our way past loch carron, loch ness, stonehaven and the QE crossing (just missing the icicle cascades closure) over about 5 nights.
Despite all this, on our maiden MH trip in a rented van we had such a great time we are awaiting delivery of our first PVC in May. I had sneakily hired the smallest van and picked the coldest time of year in the stormiest bit of Scotland to test SWIMBO as she hates camping but shes the one who spent her pension lump sum on the new van!

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back