Over Wintering in Portugal?

Thanks for all your kind thoughts.

At the moment we're looking at remaining car-less, if possible.

While many jobless youngsters have returned to live with parents, Parking and driving in towns is a nightmare.
We've discovered Uber.
Ridiculously cheap.
If they write our car off, we'll have rented it for less than 100€ a month.
That will more than cover our routine weekly trips.
Hospital visits, airports and other big town chores, will be so much easier.

Then bank the money .. and stop worrying about spending what is actually a bonus.
We'll see how things pan out..
All part of life's rich tapestry.
🥴

Thanks for all your kind thoughts.

At the moment we're looking at remaining car-less, if possible.

While many jobless youngsters have returned to live with parents, Parking and driving in towns is a nightmare.
We've discovered Uber.
Ridiculously cheap.
If they write our car off, we'll have rented it for less than 100€ a month.
That will more than cover our routine weekly trips.
Hospital visits, airports and other big town chores, will be so much easier.

Then bank the money .. and stop worrying about spending what is actually a bonus.
We'll see how things pan out..
All part of life's rich tapestry.
🥴
sounds like a great plan! Comes a point when it's cheaper to get a taxi etc when you need it than run a car for all the times you dont! Going from eight wheels to none...of course there is always the ride on tractors they have round here, or an ebike? :unsure:

Oh Paul, so sorry to hear this. Really hope Jenny fully recovers with no long term damage.
Only you could have a situation on your hands like this, and turn it into a positive thing. You are both amazing characters!
Desperately hoping that we will be given the go-ahead to travel by September, then we can come and check on you!
Stay safe!

Whilst I agree that an article in a newspaper isn't an official standpoint, it does provide some cautious optimism that at least the 90/180 rule is recognised as a problem and potentially interest in it, is being taken.

I'd be interested in seeing how we can apply for extended Visa's if anyone does know how?

All I can find from here...

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/s...policy/docs/frequently_asked_questions_en.pdf

is...

18 Can my visa be extended? When applying for a visa extension, you must show that due to force majeure or for humanitarian reasons or for serious personal reasons it is not possible for you to leave the territory of Member States before the expiry of your visa or the authorized period of stay.

This relates to the actual Visa application process which - as far as I know - we in the UK don't have to do but I'm guessing the principles regarding extended stays would be the same. Very happy if I'm wrong though :)

To further muddy the waters, it looks at the moment, that from 2022...

Although British citizens will not need a visa to visit Europe, they will need an ETIAS visa waiver from 2022.

The European Travel Information and Authorisation System is being introduced to register visitors from visa-exempt non-EU nations. The EU Commission has confirmed that UK citizens will need to apply for ETIAS to cross an external Schengen Area border after Brexit.

Contained in this article...

https://www.etiasvisa.com/etias-news/etias-visa-how-will-it-affect-uk-citizens#:~:text=UK citizens will therefore not,information can be found below.

At the risk of flogging this to death at the moment, the following article assures us that the process is straightforward BUT it does carry a fee!

I was told of two different couples that asked about this exact thing in two different Spanish areas. Both were told by the two different areas that something is in the pipeline similar to this newspaper article.

IMG_20210328_223324.jpg

From this week's Portugal News: Page 19:
It says that Portugal will allow UK visitors to to stay 6 months, overwintering.
Could this be the breakthrough, we've been hoping for ?
Apologies for the low tech attachment .
Age and inebriation don't help.

A friend of ours was stopped in Lagos in an English registered vehicle by the GNR last week. They checked documents and clearly stated that whilst Covid is around they are not interested as to how long a vehicle has been in Portugal as they appreciate it is now almost impossible to get back to the UK safely. At least small comfort for those still in Portugal but I also believe the Portuguese will allow 6 months in the winter and Spain will follow suit. France will be the problem in returning home. Good news for Brittany ferries operating from Santander and Bilbao.

I also believe the Portuguese will allow 6 months in the winter and Spain will follow suit. France will be the problem in returning home. Good news for Brittany ferries operating from Santander and Bilbao.

It would be nice if you were correct but any move away from the 90 day limit will be seen as an attempt to weaken Schengen and I cannot see the EU allowing that to happen. There are a lot of anecdotal stories about, such as " a friend was told" or "I have heard" or "some people were told" and so on but there is nothing to back any of these up. If you ask the question on any official government site you get nothing. If there was a genuine attempt to change things then you would expect to find some kind of link to it.

GNR fine 12000 in 20 days for non compliance
see below
These fines applied to other matters, nothing to do with the 90 days. Most fines issued to Motorhomes have been for illegal camping which has been extensively advertised as an offence. Parking in camp sites is not a problem. The comment I made was regarding the 90 day rule which, I repeat, the GNR are not concerned about here in the Algarve where we live.

Because there is no official comment about the length of stay rules, I'm suspecting that the old Portugese custom of turning a blind eye, copping a deaf' un, to unpopular regulations, is being applied..
There's already evidence of improvement in the Customs treatment of packages from the UK.
Even the French have increased their imports from Blighty to nearly pre- Brexit levels
I'm still optimistic.

Because there is no official comment about the length of stay rules, I'm suspecting that the old Portugese custom of turning a blind eye, copping a deaf' un, to unpopular regulations, is being applied..
There's already evidence of improvement in the Customs treatment of packages from the UK.
Even the French have increased their imports from Blighty to nearly pre- Brexit levels
I'm still optimistic.
Just to play Job's Comforter again, the problem comes when you pass through passport control (which will presumably be in France or Spain). Your passport is scanned and the information stored in the Schengen computer (presumably in Brussels?). If you have stayed more than 90 days there is a very real risk that you will not be allowed back into the EU next time - and that has nothing to do with the attitude on the ground in Portugal or Spain. You will not even be allowed out of Portsmouth or Dover.

I never mentioned anything about the 90 days, I took it that it was to do with people not following the Covid restrictions and other traffic matters.
On another matter. If anybody knows of reasonably priced appatment to rent for 2 to 3 month next spring or even maybe this autumn we would be interested to hear. Maybe even both if we can work the 90 day limit

from the link
"Of the 55 people detained for disobedience, 12 were for violation of mandatory confinement."
Depends what you want , Graham..
Beach, ?
Nightclubs,?
Rural.?
Monte Clerigo or Aljesur on the West Algarve coast, are very Portugese. But exposed to Westerlies.. Not as bracing, on a bad day, as Skegness in August

Then Quarteira is not so hectic as the resorts to its west.
I have a Nuno, in the village, who could help, if you send him details.

I've been having a look at Brittany Ferries Winter Sun Holidays in Portugal including ferry to Spain and cabin 4 wks £663 pp longer stays available phone to enquire

Quote@*****..

Thanks Paul, whats a Nuno...

Every village has one..

A bright , intelligent guy, good education, knows everyone and everything.
Prefers to idle his life away in paradise . Typical Algarve Bunny.
If you want something away from the bleedin obvious, I'll give him a wake up call.. He tends to hibernate over the winter
I'll ask him if you can contact him direct..
If he comes up trumps, he'd welcome a small tip.

Look online, at rental agencies with properties at Cabanas De Tavira or Manta Rota... Both pleasant , off peak.
You could maybe PM @rugbyken.
For places nearer the Spanish Border..

Last edited:
Thanks Paul, apologies for late reply, been pretty busy and had a few or more 🍷 🍷 🍷 to celebrate us buying a small touring caravan
I think at the moment we will put apartments on hold and see what we think of caravanning.
As you will be well aware, there are Aires in Portugal that do allow caravans as well as M/H's and we do know some public owned and also private ones. Also we know a couple at the far Western of Spain that we would be happy to use
All in flux at the moment with the Covid thing as to if and when😦
At least buying the Caravan, brightened up Kath eyes and gives us both something to look fwd to and from a different perspective!
I suppose some M/Hers wont talk to us now ;)

View attachment 59014
Tidy looking rig, Graham..
There a longer A classes on aires .

You know how to behave and will cause no offence..
Enjoy your travels.

Thanks Paul, apologies for late reply, been pretty busy and had a few or more 🍷 🍷 🍷 to celebrate us buying a small touring caravan
I think at the moment we will put apartments on hold and see what we think of caravanning.
As you will be well aware, there are Aires in Portugal that do allow caravans as well as M/H's and we do know some public owned and also private ones. Also we know a couple at the far Western of Spain that we would be happy to use
All in flux at the moment with the Covid thing as to if and when😦
At least buying the Caravan, brightened up Kath eyes and gives us both something to look fwd to and from a different perspective!
I suppose some M/Hers wont talk to us now ;)

View attachment 59014

The new van looks very tidy and if it brightens up your wifes life, then it's got to be a winner.
I'm sure you'll get used to being in the naughty corner all alone at your next meet.😉😁
I look forward to seeing you soon.👍

Learning to live without our own car..
Set on a young lass from the village, as Chauffeur/ Shopping helper..
She's great.

Just come in from sitting outside, in what used to be the carport.. AKA ," The Cafe"... After a hectic and productive day.

Red wine, sunset And top of the range Lidl Junk food Pizzas...What the Hell, it's a small sin.
Nothing too wrong with this overwintering lark.

Learning to live without our own car..
Set on a young lass from the village, as Chauffeur/ Shopping helper..
She's great.

Just come in from sitting outside, in what used to be the carport.. AKA ," The Cafe"... After a hectic and productive day.

Red wine, sunset And top of the range Lidl Junk food Pizzas...What the Hell, it's a small sin.
Nothing too wrong with this overwintering lark.
Paul, shouldn't she be sat on your lap????

Oops, mis read it, sorry

Paul, shouldn't she be sat on your lap????

Oops, mis read it, sorry
You old rogue../ Leprechaun.
You don't fool anybody..
You've got the gift of the Blarney stone..

We had to be in the Faro Hospital, 26 miles away, for 07.45, this morning, for a follow up check, after Jennie's crash.
Tried to find a taxi available and even looked at, the newly arrived Uber.
The Mayor was having a beer with some locals, as we walked by, across the road., Saturday, afternoon.
He lurched across, asking if was all going ok ?
We mentioned our problem.
He replied that a functionary of the Parish Council would collect us, at 7 am, today.
Sure enough, a 28 year old Fiat minibus clattered up our lane... Piloted by our Mayor himself..!
White knuckle ride.. !
He told us to ring him, when we were done...
This guy works 25 hours a day, 8 days a week.
We said we'd try Uber again...
It worked a treat.... Half the price of a proper Merc taxi.

I'm beginning to run out of reasons why we should ever consider returning to Blighty, when we're allowed.

It may be worth noting that some countries, Spain included, require a translation of your Driving Licence, although this is rarely, if ever, enforced. An IDP, even an out of date one, would cover this.
I also seem to remember that Andorra requires an IDP but willing to be corrected

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back