Pattern Parts

Going to be a lot oF folks out of work in factors etc
sad if it goes ahead

That's why I'm pretty sure it won't happen.

It also said branded, not main dealer only. So maybe it's the bigger suppliers of parts that will be allowed and just not crappy Chinese knock-offs.

Who knows with the current rubbish we call "journalism"...

Very few people understand the cost of manufacture, even those in business. Though expensive we used to have product liability insurance on our parts. The processes, suppliers raw materials, and sub-contract services all being documented and traceable. One year not so long ago our insurance renewal quote went through the roof. On examination it was the product liability part that caused this. When we questioned this, it was because we manufactured our own products. If we had them made in the far east it would not raise our insurance! Obviously we asked why? It was because far eastern or Indian parts are untraceable. If there was a problem it would not go to court and the insurance would just pay up.

So the moral of this story is ....... buy in rubbish and don't loose any sleep, your insurance will cover you.

I wonder if that is true, or more probably the interpretation of the rules is wrong because it makes a better story
We were recently informed by our vehicle insurers ( in France) that insurance companies no longer require expensive main dealer parts need be fitted, in an attempt to keep repair costs down. They are allowing pattern and used parts to be fitted where appropriate as long as they are of good quality.

It’s a tricky subject. Obviously some replacement parts are of poor quality but equally some are the exact ones that the original vehicle manufacturers sell at a premium. It seems a good idea where safety is involved to legislate for the need for original parts, but where identical parts are available this simply increases the profits for the original manufacturer of a vehicle. If the legislation is brought in expect very steep price rises as competition is eliminated.

When i worked for toyota it was found that aftermarket oil filters were causing wear to 1000cc and 1200 engines as the toyota filter was upside down at an angle, it had a valve which held oil for the first start, the after market ones did not and cranks started to get noisey, some stuff is ok but some very very bad and from top name to.

I always worry about just that possibility when I see an upside down oil filter and have bought manufacturer's own for them just in case.
Yes they are twice the price but that's only a few quid as opposed to a wrecked engine.

When i worked for toyota it was found that aftermarket oil filters were causing wear to 1000cc and 1200 engines as the toyota filter was upside down at an angle, it had a valve which held oil for the first start, the after market ones did not and cranks started to get noisey, some stuff is ok but some very very bad and from top name to.
Many of the well known British names, especially in Air and Oil Filters, are made by the Chinese. The Company no longer exists and the Brand name was bought by Chinese Companies.

Many of the well known British names, especially in Air and Oil Filters, are made by the Chinese. The Company no longer exists and the Brand name was bought by Chinese Companies.
Yes, people foolishly believe a brand name stands for quality. Generally it stands for profit.

There is a chap on utube who cuts many filters open to test, big shock with some as total crap, he also tests oil additives and many oils to see how they hold up.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back