Paying for fuel France

Any credit card that offers wholesale exchange rates (we use Halifax Clarity). The reason for using a credit (as opposed to a debit or prepaid) card is (as others have mentioned) that many 'pay at pump' filling stations ringfence the maximum transaction amount (€130 has been mentioned, it's usually £99 in UK). They've never actually taken the money IME, but I know from when I used a prepaid FairFX card that some vendors (e.g. filling stations, hotels, etc.) 'attach' a security deposit that often isn't released for weeks and that can leave you with no available funds even though your card has a substantial credit balance.
Another thing to keep in mind is that many of those pumps won't take UK cards. We found that most supermarket filling stations have one pump that will -- but it can be difficult to identify which. I found this out when Jan went shopping in a branch of Carrefour while I went to refuel. While all the pumps were 'pay at pump' there was a little kiosk with an attendant keeping an eye on things and she pointed out the pump that would accept my card.
We have used a N/wide Credit Card in France and Spain at fuel stations, staffed and remote, at all times of the day and night, and at Bank Holidays etc and have never had a rejection/problem. We did have the Card refused at the first Autoroute Peage this year, but that was because of a systems failure at SAPN the autoroute provider, not because of a problem with the Card

Steve

We have used a N/wide Credit Card in France and Spain at fuel stations, staffed and remote, at all times of the day and night, and at Bank Holidays etc and have never had a rejection/problem. We did have the Card refused at the first Autoroute Peage this year, but that was because of a systems failure at SAPN the autoroute provider, not because of a problem with the Card

Steve
FWIW, my trip was April/May 2018. We entered Europe via Hook of Holland and travelled about 2,500 miles through the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Andorra, and then back up the West French coast coming back into UK via the channel tunnel. I probably refuelled ten to a dozen times, almost always using supermarket filling stations, and had the credit card payment issue four times. However, on three of those occasions someone told me which pump to use. Perhaps the issue isn't as widespread at 'normal' filling stations (i.e. ones not attached to, and branded as, an adjacent supermarket)?

FWIW, my trip was April/May 2018. We entered Europe via Hook of Holland and travelled about 2,500 miles through the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Andorra, and then back up the West French coast coming back into UK via the channel tunnel. I probably refuelled ten to a dozen times, almost always using supermarket filling stations, and had the credit card payment issue four times. However, on three of those occasions someone told me which pump to use. Perhaps the issue isn't as widespread at 'normal' filling stations (i.e. ones not attached to, and branded as, an adjacent supermarket)?
We also used supermarket filling stations during the same period as you, and a couple of 'traditional' filling stations and aimed for the first pump with the nozzle on the right side, to avoid climbing over caravan towbars etc. Never had to look for a designated pump in our 3808 miles

Steve

I am currently in Portugal having driven through France and Spain.
I use Currensea a very easy way to pay. It basically uses your debit account and pays for all currency exchanges a lot cheaper than the High Street Banks. I recently withdrew €200 and would have been charged £189 by my normal bank, it cost me £169 with Currencea. I have used it to purchase fuel at the pump or kiosk in fact I use it to pay for anything where I would use a Credit or Debit card.

I filled up at a an E.Leclerc today - 1.925€ a litre btw - and the pump had an option for English language so away I went. Like Steve (Marchie) above, I have had zero problems supermarket pumps over many years of foreign travel.

I filled up at a an E.Leclerc today - 1.925€ a litre btw - and the pump had an option for English language so away I went. Like Steve (Marchie) above, I have had zero problems supermarket pumps over many years of foreign travel.
I tend to do the same when the French try to communicate with me in English. :)

We also used supermarket filling stations during the same period as you, and a couple of 'traditional' filling stations and aimed for the first pump with the nozzle on the right side, to avoid climbing over caravan towbars etc. Never had to look for a designated pump in our 3808 miles

Steve
I would have suspected it had something to do with my credit card (Halifax Clarity). However, we were travelling in convoy with another couple and they had the same issues at the same locations. Thinking about it, ISTR that the 'designated pumps' were invariably the ones most suited to goods vehicles and so were the ones that you'd probably head for by default anyway? Perhaps we were unlucky, perhaps it's an advantage that Nationwide Credit Card has over Clarity. However, the Nationwide Credit Card seems to be no longer available to new customers (it's been replaced by their "Member credit card", which still enjoys Visa wholesale rates).

Yes it's retarded. How does it help in any way telling him you use a cheque from a French bank account?
Then you state you avoid pay at pump buy don't state why. Perhaps it's because you use a cheque like literally no-one in the UK.
It seems like you just wanted to tell everyone you have a French bank account (no-one cares)
Bit strong don't you think? "Retarded"??

He posted this over a week ago and you are starting to have a go today?!? Has it taken over a week to think up this high level of repartee? Am I missing something here?

I would have suspected it had something to do with my credit card (Halifax Clarity). However, we were travelling in convoy with another couple and they had the same issues at the same locations. Thinking about it, ISTR that the 'designated pumps' were invariably the ones most suited to goods vehicles and so were the ones that you'd probably head for by default anyway? Perhaps we were unlucky, perhaps it's an advantage that Nationwide Credit Card has over Clarity. However, the Nationwide Credit Card seems to be no longer available to new customers (it's been replaced by their "Member credit card", which still enjoys Visa wholesale rates).
No, Geoff, nothing as scientific. I just aimef for the first pump with the filler on the right side for the tank, and away we went. I steer clear of commercial pumps, because of the flow speeds, and, because I may have all day to fill up, HGV drivers don't, so I don't get under their feet ...

I have filled up at Super U, Leclerc, Intermarche, Repsol, CEPSA in a variety of locations, at various times and days of the week, and never had a problem. I was, however, in a party of brothers in law attending the 1998 Le Mans 24 Hours in an ancient M/home, and we needed fuel at Dieppe (SNCF strike ...) on Sunday afternoon. British credit card not accepted, so we had to drive to a staffed forecourt, and scrape together all the French Franc notes and coins to make the extra mileage that the transfer to the Calais Crossing involved. Running on fumes and centimes ... 🙄

Steve

With Starling you have to have funds in your £ account to transfer(buy euros) for your euro account.
But all can be done instantly.
Before I use PO creditcard and all was good.
As mentioned a larger sum is debited on the day but this is duly refunded.
I have not used my starling card in say France for fuel so do not know if the same happens.

The po credit card is good but if you want to avoid using credit card starling would be good.

You can use starling as a 2nd bank account and keep a stash in it.
Then transfer back to main account in due course.
Last summer I made a monthly transfer to Starling and used it exclusively whilst travelling.
Regarding it as my holiday account.
Just be aware when yo draw euros abroad you have to choose euros and not £ as this would incur fx charges.
So make sure starling is suitably funded.
I like it as you get immediate confirmation of all transactions (provided you use their app)
Unless you are an idiot like me and leave the personal account debit card behind....the euro account is linked to single account not joint...transferred money to Euro and there it has stayed! BUT even using the joint GBP account starling card, get decent exchange rates and no fees, so got off lightly. Plus we have euros ready for next trip ;)

I only ever use my Halifax card abroad and there’s no transaction cost and a favourable exchange rate.

I only ever use my Halifax card abroad and there’s no transaction cost and a favourable exchange rate.
What is a 'favourable exchange rate'? With respect, that is a 'How long's a piece of string' statement. My present Currency Broker charges no transaction fee to send money to France, whereas the predecessor used to charge £20 but gave a higher exchange rate. When I calculate the impact of the £20 fee, the 2 Brokers gave damn near the same exchange rate!

Steve

What is a 'favourable exchange rate'? With respect, that is a 'How long's a piece of string' statement. My present Currency Broker charges no transaction fee to send money to France, whereas the predecessor used to charge £20 but gave a higher exchange rate. When I calculate the impact of the £20 fee, the 2 Brokers gave damn near the same exchange rate!

Steve
"Favourable exchange rate" usually means wholesale rates. Unfortunately too many foreign exchange facilities disguise what is effectively a commission by giving a disadvantageous exchange rate. For example, the Post Office currently charge no commission but €100 will cost you £86.27. In contrast, Clarity will cost you £83.39 for a €100 purchase paid by card. The same purchase made with (say) a Lloyds Classic debit card would incur a less advantageous exchange rate in addition to 2.99% commission.

"Favourable exchange rate" usually means wholesale rates. Unfortunately too many foreign exchange facilities disguise what is effectively a commission by giving a disadvantageous exchange rate. For example, the Post Office currently charge no commission but €100 will cost you £86.27. In contrast, Clarity will cost you £83.39 for a €100 purchase paid by card. The same purchase made with (say) a Lloyds Classic debit card would incur a less advantageous exchange rate in addition to 2.99% commission.

That was the point I was highlighting, Geoff, the undefined 'favourable ...' and no mention of the underlying charges that lower the effective exchange rate appreciably, especially where relatively small amounts are spent

Steve

When I said favourable rate, what I mean to say is that there was no transaction charge, unlike when I once used my Lloyds debit card - never again! Then when I compared the Euro to Pound conversion I was very happy that it was very close to that day’s exchange rate found elsewhere on the ‘net. Not that I’m tight, but I hate to be ripped off by unscrupulous means eg Lloyds ‘international transaction’ fee.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back