Peugeot 2.8 HDI

alwaysared

Does anyone have a MH with the Peugeot 2.8 HDI? Am right in believing it doesn't have a turbo? Any thoughts on this power unit?

Regards,
Del

Do you have any more info on the vehicle ? year etc.
Didn't think there was a non turbo after the 2.8d one which was around 1999.

It's a 2006 and the owner says it doesn't have a turbo and a text to a mechanic mate confirms that they did indeed fit a non turbo to that year Peugeot but not the Ducato, he said they're still 123bhp and run really smooth. He said the best thing to do is drive it and see for yourself, trouble is the vans over 200 mile away so I thought if anyone on here had one they would be able to give me an heads up before I travel that far.

Regards,
Del

HDI non turbo common rail diesel, suffer from high pressure pump in the tank plays up but cheap enough to replace and then bomb proof good engine ?

Sofim engine same fitted to iveco,bomb prof but keep timing belts up to date.
Think 90hp non turbo & 120 with,any i have seen all have turbo.

Not wishing to disagree with anyone but from the information I have available.
The only engine that was unique to the Peugeot Boxer of that era is the 2.2 HDI, PSA 4HY
If it is a 2.8 and no turbo then it is most likely an Iveco 8140.63 but they finished in 2004 and the power figures were 87 hp with 180 Nm of torque, I can't find any reference of it being fitted to the Boxer of that year, although it wouldn't surprise me to find it had, is it right or left hand drive?
Normally the 2.8 HDI for 2006 would have been the turbo Iveco 8140.43S which is a common rail direct injection unit.

If it were me I'd be asking the seller for more and complete info on exactly what the base vehicle and its engine is, unless you don't mind spending the time and energy going 200 miles for a wasted journey.
If it is the 87 hp engine it will be bomb proof yes but woefully under powered.

If you pm me the reg.no. I can get the vehicle looked up on TecCom to see what details are held for it.
PM Sent, will be interesting to know because when I called for an insurance quote they seem to think it is non turbo but all the research online seems to point to it being turbo!

Kind regards,
Del

If it is the 87 hp engine it will be bomb proof yes but woefully under powered.
According to the Ducato wiki my 19.TD is 82bhp and that's the reason I want to trade up because I want to pull my motorbike and I need a little more power so I feel more comfortable going up hills.

Regards,
Del

We went onto Peugeot parts website this morning, it’s trade only, and the vehicle is a 125hp Turbo HDi unit fitted with a BorgWarner turbo

And if you want sheer horsepower then how about mine? Zoom in

7DED9C6B-7ACB-4EEC-A8D4-DA751A7EF5DD.jpeg

Well we've been to see the van and it does have a turbo on but it wasn't the van for us :( We hummed and hawed but decided to continue our quest looking for a newer van, it seems that my only option maybe to look for a 2.8JTD van that's failed the MOT and swop the engine in my current van, but I will need a complete van as there are going to be a few other things needed to do the swop and everything will be there so there won't be any time wasted sourcing other parts, we'll have to wait and see what happens and of course the donor van may not be any easier to find than a newer MH :unsure:

Regards,
Del

No idea what your background or abilities are, but what you are suggesting is not the average DIY task.

Have you given the idea a lot of thought? i.e. what and where you'll actually need to do the job.
In my more youthful past I did quite a lot such projects and I'd advise to not take it lightly.

However if after that you decide to go ahead, try finding a write off, preferably back end or roll over, also don't forget it's not only the engine that is different, all drive train, possibly even brakes and suspension and for sure the ECU etc.

For my money search out the replacement vehicle that suits you, a lot better idea in the long run.

No idea what your background or abilities are, but what you are suggesting is not the average DIY task.

Have you given the idea a lot of thought? i.e. what and where you'll actually need to do the job.
In my more youthful past I did quite a lot such projects and I'd advise to not take it lightly.

However if after that you decide to go ahead, try finding a write off, preferably back end or roll over, also don't forget it's not only the engine that is different, all drive train, possibly even brakes and suspension and for sure the ECU etc.

For my money search out the replacement vehicle that suits you, a lot better idea in the long run.

I agree but I'm getting fedup of looking and I love the Dethleffs MH I have but just need to have more power to tow the motorbike before I'm too old to ride it lol When I search for Dethleffs MHs I have difficulty in working out which number is the phone and which is the price o_O

Regards,
Del

I know what you mean Del. We loved our Hymer but it was very much press and wait for the throttle. The 2.8jtd seems to be a good lump but with all the other gubbins of Ecu etc I’d be tempted to plod on with the search. Not sure I mentioned it before but https://www.mobile.de/?dam=0&fe!=EXPORT&s=Motorhome&vc=Motorhome might give you some more inspiration and prompt a trip to Europe on a buying spree.

Onwards and upwards!

Cheers

H

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back