Peugeot boxer relay chatter and all dash lights and gauges flash with ign on

Trek

Free Member

2018 boxer camper

While we reset the change oil warning mentioned on a previous thread we noticed that if the ignition was turned on but engine not started after a few seconds the dash lights would all start to flash the gauge needles all jump up and down and a lot of relay chatter heard!

Yet the van starts ok at first turn if we turn off engine then try just ignition it behaves its self

Anyone else encountered this ?

2018 boxer camper

While we reset the change oil warning mentioned on a previous thread we noticed that if the ignition was turned on but engine not started after a few seconds the dash lights would all start to flash the gauge needles all jump up and down and a lot of relay chatter heard!

Yet the van starts ok at first turn if we turn off engine then try just ignition it behaves its self

Anyone else encountered this ?
I would check the battery -ve to chassis strap for tightness

Try disconnecting the positive side of your vehicle battery for 5 minutes then reconnect , I had a problem with a fuel gauge going up and down all the time when I turned the ignition on . The battery disconnection solved the problem

I had this happen on my old Audi A3 and it turned out to be a problem with the circuit board in the instrument cluster. It started just as you describe but got worse over time with the speedo/temp/revs needles dancing up and down constantly and ultimately all the dash lights refusing to play at all. I have no idea if this is anything to do with your problem but thought it worth mentioning. I googled the issue and found a Youtube with my car's twin doing the same crazy dance. There was a link to a company that fixes these things... sent mine away and £140 later, it was perfect again. Good luck... hope yours is a simple fix (y)

The first thing to try is undoing both battery terminals and connect the battery wires together for a while and then reconnect after a couple of hours, this should reset the control module. Works for me!

If it only does it the first time you put key in it might be the vehicle doing a system check . I'd ask a main dealer for advice

If it only does it the first time you put key in it might be the vehicle doing a system check . I'd ask a main dealer for advice

By that I hope you mean a making contact with a Peugeot dealer as you will be very lucky indeed if you can find a caravan/motorhome dealer that even knows where the darned engine is!!

By that I hope you mean a making contact with a Peugeot dealer as you will be very lucky indeed if you can find a caravan/motorhome dealer that even knows where the darned engine is!!
Yes of course as I've never owned a van new enough to still have a warranty I'd assume any base vehicle problem would be dealt with by Peugeot and habitation problem by the motor home dealer ?

Historicly there seems to have been a period when fiat ducatos and pug boxers had faulty instrument panels Perhaps this is one of them ??

Been ok today when mate rechecked it , but he will try it from time to time

It only happens if ignition turned on but not far enough to start engine and then left probably wouldn’t notice it if you get in to start and go

Thanks everyone

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back