Poor Internet signal booster required.

Mr and Mrs Tupcox

Hi guys and gals.
We use our phone for a hot spot in the van and at home , for streaming tv,
Looking for a booster that would be ok for both..

you can get an antenna, but not a booster (not legal in UK/EU)
Have you looked at how they do this David as I know you cannot connect an antenna to my phone? I do recall a couple of company’s saying. They could put antenna up to improve mobile signal at home (I thing one was BT mobile and the other Orange/EE) but I never looked how. I assumed it would be an antenna with a router and wifi built in or else an antenna and a wifi router separate.

Have you looked at how they do this David as I know you cannot connect an antenna to my phone? I do recall a couple of company’s saying. They could put antenna up to improve mobile signal at home (I thing one was BT mobile and the other Orange/EE) but I never looked how. I assumed it would be an antenna with a router and wifi built in or else an antenna and a wifi router separate.
It would be a wireless signal repeater I imagine.
Not looked at the technology behind it as TBH, it is not something that greatly interests me. I just happen to know Boosters are not legal here. (shame really as they are meant to be quite good and popular in the USA I understand).

It would be a wireless signal repeater I imagine.
Not looked at the technology behind it as TBH, it is not something that greatly interests me. I just happen to know Boosters are not legal here. (shame really as they are meant to be quite good and popular in the USA I understand).
I had a play around with some repeaters and have a couple somewhere but can’t remember if they are just wifi repeaters or if one does 4g. Was a lot easier before I retired as I could buy something to try as possible customer solutions, some. Of the kit gets. Bit pricey when you don’t need it and on a pension lol

Yes, I believe BT used to offer repeater/boosters but that stopped years ago. They now offer VoWifi instead (I think you need a compatible phone, but suspect most would be these days) which routes voice calls through your router instead of the cellular network.

I'd suggest getting a mobile router (takes a SIM card) with an 'external' aerial (mine's inside in a cupboard at the back of the van, away from the other electrics, and it works very well).

Used to have a box that was supposed to be a booster when I was on Sky. Did help but it was an electric plug in from Sky
Probably one of these "SkyBoosters" .....
Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 12-47-58 Sky Hub Home.png
They are essentially Range Extenders.
I also use a mains-based BT Range Extender, with a main device plugged into a mains socket and a cable into the Hub/Router and a secondary unit plugged into another mains socket 2 floors up and sending a wi-fi signal and cabled service to that room.
But the BT Ranger Extender, and also the Sky Booster are their own Transmitters rather then boosting the original signal. Also these are Wi-Fi and not Mobile Network signals that are 'created'.
(I don't know for sure, but basically anyone can generate/create a Wi-Fi service from thousands of commercial Wi-Fi devices, but you need a licence to generate a Mobile Network service)

Ofcom does now allow unlicensed mobile signal boosters/repeaters, the prohibition changed in 2018 and the rules have been further updated since then but are very strict.
I bought a 12V one a few years ago which supposedly complied with the rules in use at that time. It was expensive and a waste of money, although when combined with a Yagi aerial it did work a little. The latest Ofcom list of repeaters no longer seems to include ones designed specifically for vehicles which under the 2018 rules were allowed but had to have a very low boost power because of the risk of signal feedback. A badly set up booster which causes feedback can block other peoples phones.

I do it the other way both in the house and the van. I use wifi calling on my phone via a 4G or 5G router (depending where I am). Router almost always has a better signal than phone although you can have a wander with the phone looking for aignal

This thread has reminded me that I have an excellent long range wifi aerial, which I have had for years. It might only be 3g and scrap now though. :(

We use one of these at home an when away in the van never not had a signal in Europe. Greece, Poland, France and Portugal and you can connect a land line phone direct to it

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back