Porridge

A two minute ping in the microwave, just oats and water, when I'm in the house but prefer the 'just add water' pots when we're away in the van; a lot easier on the washing up as well.

We love porridge but find cleaning the saucepan afterwards a pain it’s very messy and sticks. Any tips excluding buying ready made as the point is it cheap and healthy. We also don’t like it with salt.

As soon as you remove the porridge, fill the pan with cold water and move away from the heat. After breakfast, swill round with a washing up brush and most of the sticky mess will be removed.

Non stick pan works for me. Porridge most days (real stuff), after serving I fill the pan with water and it rinses off no problem later.

At home, we microwave jumbo wholegrain rolled oats in milk and water, with a decent pinch of salt. Always use Flahavans Irish Oats or Kavanaghs Orgamic. And always in a pyrex bowl. Rinse with cold water immediately after dishing up the portions. If I were to use a saucepan, it would be a pyrex glass saucepan we have. The reason is that beautiful, creamy porridge just floats off glass when rinsed in cold water.

At home, we microwave jumbo wholegrain rolled oats in milk and water, with a decent pinch of salt. Always use Flahavans Irish Oats or Kavanaghs Orgamic. And always in a pyrex bowl. Rinse with cold water immediately after dishing up the portions. If I were to use a saucepan, it would be a pyrex glass saucepan we have. The reason is that beautiful, creamy porridge just floats off glass when rinsed in cold water.

Ditto! Great minds think alike ;)

Sometimes I add a few raisins or sultanas (other half not so keen), nearly always a sprinkling of sunflower seeds when dished up and occasionally cinnamon.

He always tops with golden syrup, me a spoonful of demerara sugar. I also like mine with a splash of cream if there is any, otherwise splash of cold milk. Sometimes soak the mix overnight when I remember, but not essential.

Only use the microwave at home, when in van use a normal pan on the stove top and add water to soak before washing up.

I used to microwave my porridge but have gone back to heating slowly on the hob, I find it comes out smoother that way. I usually soak the oats in a little water overnight, again I find it smoother and creamier. No salt for me but I usually chop up a few prunes and add a liitle prune juice before serving.

It doesn't matter what time of year it is. Have your oats in the morning is all ways good.
???????

in France we used to get oak flakes [flocons d'avoine] ,fry them in butter and have them with milk and sugar

My Nan's tip was to rinse the saucepan under the cold tap first and leave it damp, before putting in the porridge, etc. Helps stop it sticking. Also works for boiling milk, making bread sauce, etc.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back