Portsmouth area overnighting

Carrerasax

Anyone any experience or recommendations?
I see there is a poi at porchester castle, anyone stayed there?

We park on the ferry port car park after the last ferry

Whale island car park just around the corner fron the ferry port and a pub within walking distance on the estate. Can be a bit rough but car park fine fishermen on the river normally

Anyone any experience or recommendations?
I see there is a poi at porchester castle, anyone stayed there?

Yes we stayed overnight at Porchester about a month ago. No problems. During the winter, parking is allowed for 7 days otherwise 24 hours. There is a public loo there open to 8pm. However there is one "no overnight sleeping sign" in very small print and the car park is used by quite a lot by dog walkers. There is a great walk along the harbour side. We also stayed the night in the Port Solent car park - no problems here either and plenty of restaurants. Another spot is street parking in Lock View adjacent to Port Solent. Its a cul de sac right next to the harbour with great views and no parking restrictions. You can get a bus into the city route X4 on the A27

Bear in mind that in 2015 the regulations in force for this car park (as detailed on the sign) prohibited use as a dwelling, or for sleeping or camping, eating or cooking. I suspect that the regulations are unlikely to have been relaxed, so while parking overnight may be OK, any of the prohibited activities constitutes an infringement of the Traffic Regulation Order and renders the user liable to a Penalty Charge Notice.

try ferry rd at Eastney there are always a few camping down there, or at the end of locksway road behind the thatched house pub

On the beach at Hayling Island is very quiet and convenient for the Portsmouth ferries. Next to ‘Inn on the Beach’.....good food.
There’s a council parking charge for overnighters and very basic water, waste and poo dump. No EHU.

On the beach at Hayling Island is very quiet and convenient for the Portsmouth ferries. Next to ‘Inn on the Beach’.....good food.
There’s a council parking charge for overnighters and very basic water, waste and poo dump. No EHU.

I am afraid that Havant council have banned overnight parking, from their site --" Motorhomes or any vehicle adapted to sleep in will be prohibited to park in any Beachlands car park from 10pm-6am, 7 days a week 365 days of the year."- - and they have been policing it and issuing tickets. I believe they have a plan to demolish the Inn on the beach and redevelop the area. There is a protest group been set up to try and get overnight parking reinstated if you are interested see - https://www.facebook.com/groups/221679428388353/ - I am sure they would appreciate any support we could give. There is a petition they are asking for signatures I presume its still active https://www.change.org/p/havant-bor...vernight-parking-on-west-beach-hayling-island

Last edited:
That's very sad.

As a child, my parents used to take my sister and myself to a tichy caravan park in Fishery Lane on Hayling Island for holidays. They flattened the site a few years ago for housing.

It often rained and my parents used my plasticine to stop the water pouring in through the caravan windows.

In spite of it all, it's where my love of camping started.

Bear in mind that in 2015 the regulations in force for this car park (as detailed on the sign) prohibited use as a dwelling, or for sleeping or camping, eating or cooking. I suspect that the regulations are unlikely to have been relaxed, so while parking overnight may be OK, any of the prohibited activities constitutes an infringement of the Traffic Regulation Order and renders the user liable to a Penalty Charge Notice.
We stayed there one night, we called the Police as we witnessed a fight driving past one of the pubs, later that evening about 4 police officers turned up and I said we had reported the fight, asked if it was ok to stay there and they said yes. They said it was one of the places they patrol for drunken kids, also Portsdown Hill, you can park up there as well he said, we'll keep an eye out for you.

I am afraid that Havant council have banned overnight parking, from their site --" Motorhomes or any vehicle adapted to sleep in will be prohibited to park in any Beachlands car park from 10pm-6am, 7 days a week 365 days of the year."- - and they have been policing it and issuing tickets. I believe they have a plan to demolish the Inn on the beach and redevelop the area. There is a protest group been set up to try and get overnight parking reinstated if you are interested see - https://www.facebook.com/groups/221679428388353/ - I am sure they would appreciate any support we could give. There is a petition they are asking for signatures I presume its still active https://www.change.org/p/havant-bor...vernight-parking-on-west-beach-hayling-island

Done, hope it’s not too late.

Atop Portsdown Hill, don't use the big car park where the 24 hour burger van is......a little west of there on the other side of the road are two smaller (quieter) car parks either side of the old fort. The one nearest the roundabout has a spectacular view of the port. I stayed there many times last summer without issue....nice dog walks, but no facilities.

The D-day museum on Southsea beach is an official overnight car park. It’s an almost enclosed area with, usually, a couple of coaches parked up as well. The plod patrol several times during the night so you should be cosy and secure.

Hi just park in Ferryport after last ferry much safer, you do not have to drive to port first thing in traffic.
There is or was a wild camping car park near the Continental Ferry Port, turn left just before the main entrance into the ferry port, just stop before you get to the armed guard at the forces base, stop and its a car park on your left. Note, can be busy with residents.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back