Power questions

Laurenjayedad

Free Member

Hello , new to this and purchased a camper that has solar panels and leisure batteries but what can I run off these ?? In terms of appliances ?? Sorry for a silly question

Depending on the type of batteries and regulator from solar thats a very good setup, the idea is you do not require a power cable in a campsite but can stop where you like and run a 12v tv lights and diesel heater if you have one, not forgetting a fridge, remember so called les batteries the old type lead acid or not to good for running down below have way as they will get damaged, if you ever decide to change up with no alterations then go lead carbon, lithium is good but requires some changes which I dont think is worth the cost or hastle.

Depending on the type of batteries and regulator from solar thats a very good setup, the idea is you do not require a power cable in a campsite but can stop where you like and run a 12v tv lights and diesel heater if you have one, not forgetting a fridge, remember so called les batteries the old type lead acid or not to good for running down below have way as they will get damaged, if you ever decide to change up with no alterations then go lead carbon, lithium is good but requires some changes which I dont think is worth the cost or hastle.
Thank you - the van has this installed -
4x 160W solar panels on roof rack (total 640w)
Victron MPPT 100 50 solar controller with Bluetooth and battery sensor
Ring solar controller used as b2b charger (charges when driving)
2x 130ah leisure batteries
1100w inverter

So lead carbon batteries if I need to change them ?

There are 4 x 160w panels size I am unsure
what van is it you have? asking as having 4 x 160W panels will need a lot of roof space. Really great if you have that much but just wondering ....

That sounds like a good set-up ,as Trevskoda said you should be able to run a fridge,TV, lights, diesel heater and have enough solar to top the batteries up, but as Trevskoda also said if they are the lead acid batteries they won't take running below 50% many times , just keep an eye on the voltage . It may sound daft but I think 50% is anything below 12volts ,( a fully charged battery will show 12.7v ) the experts on here will be able to tell you the exact numbers .

Last edited:
1100w inverter

That sounds like a good set-up ,as Trevskoda you should be able to run a fridge,TV, lights, diesel heater and have enough solar to top the batteries up, but as Trevskoda also said if they are the lead acid batteries they won't take running below 50% many times , just keep an eye on the voltage . It may sound daft but I think 50% is below 12volts , the experts on here will be able to tell you the exact numbers .
The batteries are lead carbon , does this help ?

1100w inverter

The inverter is there to give you 240v power, converted from the battery, which can power all kinds of household items for a short time, as it will reduce the battery fairly quickly, until your solar panels charge them up again.
experts on here will tell you the details. Often it’s used for microwaves, hairdryers etc. But be careful!

Looked into lead carbon last night, they are not necessarily the way to go as they have issues too it seems, I need to look more when I get home though but lead acid might suit a light user betterer.

Another vital thing to remember when you are new to motorhoming - there are no silly questions. We all start knowing nowt and can only learn with the added assistance of those who’ve driven the same roads you’re on now. Keep asking.

Lead acid you only have 50% of quoted amps available without issue lead carbon more like 75/80% so 2x 130 lead acid you have 130a lead carbon it’s nearer 200a

I think they are not so good in cold weather though.

Looked into lead carbon last night, they are not necessarily the way to go as they have issues too it seems, I need to look more when I get home though but lead acid might suit a light user betterer.
Weight will be the main issue against them in my mind. Obviously free payload is the key though but I wonder how many know what weight they run these days. Must be a high percentage overweight with all the extras fitted. Glad I went with Lifepo4 when I did as I would have had some serious changes to make to get my van to >3.5T otherwise 👍

There is no simple answer for people, what suits one won’t suit another

Weight will be the main issue against them in my mind. Obviously free payload is the key though but I wonder how many know what weight they run these days. Must be a high percentage overweight with all the extras fitted. Glad I went with Lifepo4 when I did as I would have had some serious changes to make to get my van to >3.5T otherwise 👍

There is no simple answer for people, what suits one won’t suit another
Weight was an issue with us. Trying to keep to 3500kg so used 1 lithium 120A which is enough and 360w of lightweight semi flexible solar. I also found Gas Bank bottles. They are manufactured in the same factory as Safefill but have all the connections for permanent fitting. Considerably lighter than steel version and don't rust.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back