Power washing

Ferkel

Quick Q. Is it safe to use a power wash to clean a motorhome due to the various seals etc.

I certainly would not risk using a power washer on any motor home especially as I suffered water incress in my last van in England. My suggestion would be a soft brush and a pail of water and a very gentle hose to finish of.

The only van I would feel safe using a power wash on would be Autosleepers that have monocoque habs, anything else definitely not!

(can you tell I'm missing the old girl a bit? rofl :cry: :) )

Advice I've always heard is definitely no because of the seams... but I'm told you can turn a power washer right down, so that it's no stronger than a normal hosepipe.

I own a STIHL professional power washer which has 2 different power setting and 2 different types of nozzles.

I used to own a caravan site in France where we also stored caravans all of which were cleaned every single time we pulled them out of storage before positioning onto their pitches and I always used the pressure washer.

On UK built caravans I always had to be far more careful because of the amount of vinyl decals and the generally low quality build techniques employed by the British manufacturers, whereas on the Europe mainland manufactured vans we stored you could do quite literally anything to them and they came out shining!!

But in general, if you use your noddle and keep away from the main mastic joints, window joints and roof light joints then you should be OK.

I own a STIHL professional power washer which has 2 different power setting and 2 different types of nozzles.

I used to own a caravan site in France where we also stored caravans all of which were cleaned every single time we pulled them out of storage before positioning onto their pitches and I always used the pressure washer.

On UK built caravans I always had to be far more careful because of the amount of vinyl decals and the generally low quality build techniques employed by the British manufacturers, whereas on the Europe mainland manufactured vans we stored you could do quite literally anything to them and they came out shining!!

But in general, if you use your noddle and keep away from the main mastic joints, window joints and roof light joints then you should be OK.

So I could probably use a power washer on the old Laika Ecovip we're picking up next week, Millie?

Yes it`s perfectly safe to use a power washer on your motorhome and i`ve been do just that for over 20 years now with no problems however .......

You have to know what you are doing and hell will freeze over before i let anyone else anywhere near it with a power washer.

You can use a power washer Marie, just don't get the nozzle too close. They have machines that use a a water jet to cut steel plate. So if your not sure, get a proper brush for the job, bucket with soapy water, and do it "old school".

You can use a power washer Marie, just don't get the nozzle too close. They have machines that use a a water jet to cut steel plate. So if your not sure, get a proper brush for the job, bucket with soapy water, and do it "old school".

Most of the jobs I do already are 'old school', Debs ;)

If I went out and bought all the modern tools affluent folk acquire (like pressure washers), well... I couldn't afford it, especially not now I've just spent nearly every spare penny we had on a new(er) van! :D I can borrow one, but think I'll stick to what I know & have already.

I cleaned the whole of our block pave driveway last year with an ordinary hosepipe and sprayer, with the nozzle set to 'jet' (we have good water pressure on our taps anyway, which helps). That included getting all the cr*p out between the pavers and re-doing the whole lot with the silver sand stuff once it was clean & dry. It did the same job as a fancy pressure washer, even if it probably took a wee while longer, but so what? ;)

Depends on the job you're doing, of course, but 'domestic' pressure washers can sometimes be a bit crappy & overrated (I know, I have used them elsewhere). A normal hose will wash a vehicle just as well (and more safely by the sound of it) imho :)

having cleaned our paving with my £5 bootsale pressure washer.... it ain't going nowhere near the van it can be adjusted, but when i took our van to the the hand wash place to get the roof cleaned i had to reseal the little roof light at the back after the nutter cleaned it with his pressure hose

Look on Wilko's website for a window brush. Wooden soft bristle brush about 6inches wide on a long handle. Might have to glue the handle as it's just a push fit, but the brush is perfect for washing vehicles. Just like the one my grandma used to have. Last one I bought was £3 & had to order online & pick up in my local store.

I have a VW T5 so I just use the local automatic car wash, so much easier, it cleans the roof too! One of the advantages of having a small van other than parking it of course!

Most of the jobs I do already are 'old school', Debs ;)

If I went out and bought all the modern tools affluent folk acquire (like pressure washers), well... I couldn't afford it, especially not now I've just spent nearly every spare penny we had on a new(er) van! :D I can borrow one, but think I'll stick to what I know & have already.

I cleaned the whole of our block pave driveway last year with an ordinary hosepipe and sprayer, with the nozzle set to 'jet' (we have good water pressure on our taps anyway, which helps). That included getting all the cr*p out between the pavers and re-doing the whole lot with the silver sand stuff once it was clean & dry. It did the same job as a fancy pressure washer, even if it probably took a wee while longer, but so what? ;)

Depends on the job you're doing, of course, but 'domestic' pressure washers can sometimes be a bit crappy & overrated (I know, I have used them elsewhere). A normal hose will wash a vehicle just as well (and more safely by the sound of it) imho :)
Marie, what's the stuff you mentioned... silver sand? I don't have a pressure washer either and I struggle to keep the black slime at bay on my patio.

I would not use a power washer on any van it could damage seals including door frame windows and roof lights .

Marie, what's the stuff you mentioned... silver sand? I don't have a pressure washer either and I struggle to keep the black slime at bay on my patio.

We don't get black slime, only weeds and a little bit of liverwort/moss, but there will be lots of chemical 'patio & driveway' products that will do the the job.

I use a few buckets of hot soapy water and a normal stiff bristle sweeping brush to go over the whole lot. Rinse off with your power washer or hose pipe.

Jeyes fluid might be also be a good cleaner/disinfectant for this type of job, it disinfects greenhouses and a whole range of other things.

See here:

Jeyes Knockout Black Disinfectant

and here:

Jeyes Multipurpose Outdoor Disinfectant

PS. the silver sand brushes between the pavers after you've done the cleaning.

Just ordered the wiko brush and a metal handle, £4.50 all in?Thanks for the tip off?

We power wash our motocross bikes because we have to. The water gets in past various seals in the shock linkage in particular and these need regular stripping and greasing otherwise the needle bearings rust quickly. I would never dream of using one on our motorhome - they are too powerful, even a cheap Aldi/Lidl one, so I think everyone has given good advice.

There are power washers and there are power washers. Mine cost less than £20 many, many years ago and I've used it on cars and motorhomes many, many times with no problems at all. Perhaps a more expensive, more powerful one might cause issues if used carelessly.
Don't blast the tyres, or in through fridge vents, go easy on door and window seals and all should be well.
If the power washer does identify a leak, that's a lot better than finding it on a dark, stormy night!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back