Problem with my drawers.

sydnsue

I have a drawer unit that is located at the rear of the van in the centre. Every time I hit the anchors a bit harder than usual, all the drawers fly open. They have roller type catches but the springs that squeeze the 2 rollers together are just not strong enough. Has anyone found a solution for this that is not too unsightly? I wondered if there is another type of catch or maybe just a stronger roller type.

20190905_172514.jpg20190905_172528.jpg

Might be just enough space to fit another catch above the existing.
Being concealed when closed it doesn't even need to be exactly a
match or make.

Might be just enough space to fit another catch above the existing.
Being concealed when closed it doesn't even need to be exactly a
match or make.
Good idea but I think it's too tight unless I can find a smaller catch. I will have a search.

They might be worn, what year is your motorhome?, plastic latches wear very quickly but stronger ones are available and not expensive
that link will give you a few suppliers such as this

Good idea but I think it's too tight unless I can find a smaller catch. I will have a search.
Sometimes possible to fit at top edge, perhaps reversing positions of roller with tongue, ie putting roller on back face of drawer front, possibly not doable on lower drawers if there's no rail to fix to. Even worth seeing if a roller catch could be fitted at drawer
rear.

Last edited by a moderator:
They might be worn, what year is your motorhome?, plastic latches wear very quickly but stronger ones are available and not expensive
that link will give you a few suppliers such as this
Good point. 6 years old so could be worth a try.

Sometimes possible to fit at top edge, perhaps reversing positions of roller with tongue, ie putting roller on back face of drawer front, possibly not doable on lower drawers if there's no rail to fix to. Even worth seeing if a roller catch could be fitted at drawer
rear.
Not enough depth for rear mounting. Going to try new catches as someone pointed out it could be an age issue.

Slip a thin strip of wood or plastic through the handles which in turn means all the drawers are held back as one , not a permanent solution but good until you get new catchers.

not a drawer, but a cupboard door that is hinged on the base and the handle catch kept breaking. So I've fitted a 6lb magnet. Working a treat.

Have ordered new roller catches but the metal type, hoping they will be stronger. Fingers crossed.

You could try drilling a small hole into the tongue plastic to allow insertion of a very small
cheese head screw so as to force the rollers further apart when closing.

You could try drilling a small hole into the tongue plastic to allow insertion of a very small
cheese head screw so as to force the rollers further apart when closing.
I might try that if the metal ones I have ordered are no good.

UPDATE - The metal roller catches arrived which are much stronger than the plastic ones. Straight replacement of the plastic catches, even holes align. Left the plastic male part in place which works fine with the new catches. Drawers are still easy to close but around double the force required to open them. Perfect. Thanks everyone for your ideas. Now for the water problem in another thread.

Those plastic ones are frankly crap, If like the variety I'm familiar
with, they don't even comprise an actual spring.
Anyway a good result!

push to release catches are a PITA in vans they always release when travelling. a removable preventer bar top to bottom is what I use

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back