Problem with temporary loss of power.

AvalonAdventurers

Update on our temporary lack of power when changing from fifth to fourth on the M5 a few weeks ago. No problems since then until yesterday. Going up the A470 there is a 20%, 1in 5 hill. No problem going up fourth, third, second, then near the top levelliing out up to third and no power again. Changed to 2nd all OK and pulled over in lay y at top for ten mins. Then drove a further seven miles and engine management light came on for one flash red lasting no more than a second. Drove another 70 miles no problems. Rapido 7099F 2006. Any ideas?

Engine management light on for a second and off again is normal, according to handbook.
Loss of power could be just the extra weight on acceleration bogging engine down.
Could be turbo waste gate sticky or a vacuum leak.

i would also check the turbo pipe to see if it loose or holed as this would really affect your power

Th
i would also check the turbo pipe to see if it loose or holed as this would really affect your power
Ank you. I feel it could be connected to turbo as occasionally we get what sounds like a quiet fluttering. We thought it was a piece of plastic bag stuck underneath. Will get checked out.

i have a Ducato Knaus 19TD had the same problem sometime ago and it was the pipe to the turbo, it had worked loose, thank goodness for cable ties, we were about to reach our destination, hope you resolve your problem

Update on our temporary lack of power when changing from fifth to fourth on the M5 a few weeks ago. No problems since then until yesterday. Going up the A470 there is a 20%, 1in 5 hill. No problem going up fourth, third, second, then near the top levelliing out up to third and no power again. Changed to 2nd all OK and pulled over in lay y at top for ten mins. Then drove a further seven miles and engine management light came on for one flash red lasting no more than a second. Drove another 70 miles no problems. Rapido 7099F 2006. Any ideas?
This is exactly what mine did couple of years back and it was a clogged up waste gate I ignored it for a while and it did get progressively worse once it was cleaned it’s been fine ever since.

Need to drive it like it's been stolen .

3 gear over 3000 rev about 5 miles blast the crap out.
I
Someone told me to do that and it blew my engine up cost nearly £5,000 to have it rebuilt so not a great thing to advise if you don’t know what the problem is. 👍

Someone told me to do that and it blew my engine up cost nearly £5,000 to have it rebuilt so not a great thing to advise if you don’t know what the problem is. 👍
Well mine still going good yours must of been knackered before ya did it.
And if was a serious fault it would go in to limp mod..

Revving an older engine that has been looked after all it’s life is likely to break the top piston ring on the ridge that has formed in the cylinder bore.

Driving around at 3000 rpm might clear things and is not excessive revs likely to cause damage in a decent engine. But this may be an unreliable way to achieve a proper fix. It may be that the engine never gets hot enough to burn up the crap so see if your temp gauge ever shows it gets up to normal. But as suggested in an earlier post look at turbo boost hose.... even a small hole wastes precious boost. My Land Rover drove about fine sub 40 mph but as soon as I tried higher road speeds out of town it was clear something was lacking. Small split in hoss

I used to be very conscious about economy, but my laid back style of driving caused the EGR valve to carbon up. Since it was fixed in Yerville, I was advised to Rev higher before changing gear, and it does seem to do the trick. The emissions reading this MOT were excellent.
So maybe don’t Rev it too high but allow the engine to get hot enough to burn the carbon off and out.
Let us know if you managed to find a fix.

Revving an older engine that has been looked after all it’s life is likely to break the top piston ring on the ridge that has formed in the cylinder bore.
A engine which has never been revved has not been looked after, mollycoddling kills engines, yes top rings can break on a stepped bore.
Years back a old fart brought his car to me stating it was not going to good, I took him out for a burn, at 40mph he put his knees and legs up and started to screem saying please slow as i have never been over 25/30 before, car would not go any faster as all blocked up, at 17000 miles it was only fit for the scrap yard.

I used to be very conscious about economy, but my laid back style of driving caused the EGR valve to carbon up. Since it was fixed in Yerville, I was advised to Rev higher before changing gear, and it does seem to do the trick. The emissions reading this MOT were excellent.
So maybe don’t Rev it too high but allow the engine to get hot enough to burn the carbon off and out.
Let us know if you managed to find a fix.
Thank you. Great advice. We have now got from Dorset to Kinross with only one minor power loss on a 1 in 5 hill. Changed at top fro. 2nd to 3rd and no power. Immediately changed back to 2nd and no problems. Onwards and upwards to Orkney!!!!

Thank you. Great advice. We have now got from Dorset to Kinross with only one minor power loss on a 1 in 5 hill. Changed at top fro. 2nd to 3rd and no power. Immediately changed back to 2nd and no problems. Onwards and upwards to Orkney!!!!
Seeya there!

Might be worth using some additive for a while too... Wynns or Redex or Millers all claim to clean gummed up engines. You should consider using Ultimate or V-Power fuel for a couple of fill ups too. Yes it's more expensive but you get better power and consumption as a trade off and again its claimed they help clean the engine.
Regular oil and filter changes using good quality correct grade oil is a must in my book too.
I'm probably preaching to the converted here but someone might benefit from such advice.
Good luck
K ;)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back