Protecting your Starter Battery

Post #7
".... A better option to that is a a 12V to 12V extension lead. One end to living area socket and the other to the cab 12V socket. ..."
Yes, that's right, but the bit about equalising the voltages by running the engine wasn't in post 7.

Yes, that's right, but the bit about equalising the voltages by running the engine wasn't in post 7.
Post #22
"... the typical 12V socket is rated at 120W/10A, but for the purpose of maintaining the battery, it is more like 1A or so draw tops, so pretty insignificant in power terms. You might get more than that initially if the starter has been left to discharge for a while. In that case if you want to go belts and braces, start the engine and run it for 15 mins or so to just boost it before plugging the lead... "

Post #22
"... the typical 12V socket is rated at 120W/10A, but for the purpose of maintaining the battery, it is more like 1A or so draw tops, so pretty insignificant in power terms. You might get more than that initially if the starter has been left to discharge for a while. In that case if you want to go belts and braces, start the engine and run it for 15 mins or so to just boost it before plugging the lead... "
You can build up a very comprehensive reply on just about any subject if you concatenate enough different posts.

We do tend to get a bit of repetition in any thread that gets this long.
It's not necessarily that we haven't read all the posts but sometimes we forget what's been said already - at my age I can't think why 😀😀

I find it can be useful to read a thread sometimes though if the subject is of enough interest to add comments in case either the point you want to fnd out about or discuss has either been mentioned, or you wish to add something new that has not been discussed already.

But how do you connect it if your batteries are more than 5 inches apart? ;)

The purpose of this thread was not to sell a particular product but provide an explanation of one way to maintain a Starter Battery whilst your van is laid up. It was not a sales pitch and hence why I had no links to any products I sell.

Now time has moved on and as it happens, I have just had a batch of 8 AMT Battery Maintainers arrive by courier.
1589912852391.png

4 of them will be going out tomorrow (and not as far as I am aware as a direct result of this thread as, as I said, I had no links to the product or prices either noted as far as I recall).

This leaves 4 still available of this batch currently, priced at £69.95 each, posted out with all cabling included in the price. These are for sale in my store of course as well, so could go via other means (note the bottom one with the Switch+Mount was a special request unit to suit a specific high-end BMS device. You don't get a switch with it as standard).
1589912902400.png
1st come, 1st served for the remaining units ....

And as noted, within the thread, if you prefer a manual method to maintain the battery rather than a a proper automated fit & forget professional solution, that is also possible. Here is the clive mott heath robinson method for the Kernowyons amongst you ;)

I still prefare my switch and 200ah relay which joins the batteries together if i wish,also handy for jump starts.
My solar in most of the year takes care of them all. :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back