Punctures ?

jeffmossy

Rally Organiser

If you got a puncture when out in your van , do you change the wheel yourself or do you call your breakdown company to change it for you ? . I would have a go at changing it myself ,unless I was stopped on a dangerous road or motorway .

hi, change it myself, need a good bar and socket, makes the job a lot easier.
jim

Speaking as someone who has had several tires shred down to the wheel rims and a load of punctures, (7 new tires in the last 3 months), I change them myself. I was in a dangerous place on the M6 on one occasion and the police kindly put a cordon around me and kept me safe, although they weren't very happy about it. I think it was the best of 2 evils as it would have taken longer if a breakdown truck had been called.

Phil.

I called breakdown when I had blowout as wheel wrench had disappeared but having said that seeing the length of bar the guy used I wouldn’t have been able to crack them anyway

I've changed them on cars in the past, but that was many years ago.

Tyres seem so much stronger these days and I can't remember when I last had a puncture.

I've got breakdown cover with the new van, and also a spare wheel, so I'd have a crack at changing the wheel myself first.......and if I found I couldn't manage it, then I'd call breakdown feeling rather ashamed with myself.

I would call the breakdown insurance...for a variety of reasons

1 They are used to doing it and so it will be done quickly and properly

2 They are more safety aware and have big van with warning lights etc

3 They will have a suitable mega-jack and other items (eg a compressor if the spare is under-inflated)

4 They will be wearing protective clothing etc

5 Should there be a problem (eg spare no use) they have backup and further resources/contacts

6 It has been paid for and

7 I prefer not to crawl about on the ground

Like wot he said, assuming a phone signal.

I had a rear wheel puncture in the Summer and called the RAC to put the spare on. The biggest difficulty was extracting the spare from its cradle. No way I could have done that. A motorhome is an ideal vehicle to wait for the breakdown service in.

I had a rear wheel puncture in the Summer and called the RAC to put the spare on. The biggest difficulty was extracting the spare from its cradle. No way I could have done that. A motorhome is an ideal vehicle to wait for the breakdown service in.
Agreed..all part & parcel of my post.

I must agree, you do need a spare that is easy to get at and not under the middle of the van.
Our last three vans have had the spare in the garage!
If yours is in a cradle, make sure the cradle bolts are not seized. Even the AA or RAC bloke could have problems !
This is a very important point. When I got my VW T5 it had the usual spare in the cradle. The two bolts were so tight it took around 45 minutes, using a extended breaker bar to undo just one of them as it must have been years since last removed (I hate spare wheels in cradles!)

Also, if contemplating changing a wheel, do you remember the last time it came off and how easy it was? it is not always as simple as undoing the 5 or 6 nuts/bolts and the wheel drops off! sometimes you need a 'persuader' - I used to use an 8lb rubber mallet for the awkward ones. I remember back to the T5, those wheels used to really grab onto the hubs (despite using anti-seize compounds, etc. before that is suggested) and when I went to change the wheels from Steels to Alloys before I sold it, I could not get some of the wheels off AT ALL. drove to tyre place and they couldn't either for ages. Took a fella with half my years and twice my muscles to get the wheel off.

Changing tyres on the road ... on the LT I would do the fronts as they are quick and easy. Puncture on the rear I would probably check how close I was to a tyre place if in opening times and just drive there if relatively close and let them take it off and sort it (the advantage of a Dually)

I have had a puncture on my tag axle, and only realised when I had stopped and noticed it.
The middle axle had a flat tyre on one side, which allowed me to travel slowly to a place of safety to change the wheel myself.
My spare is also in a cage under the moho, which would not be pleasant if it was raining.
I have upgraded the supplied scissor jack which is made of monkey metal, to a bottle jack, and have a couple of wooden blocks and a portable compressor on board.

i would have to call on breakdown svs now........much safer, they take all the stress out of it....yes may have to wait half hour or so......however, well worth it...........

Better fitted on ones bum.sw  3.jpg

Luckily never had a puncture in any of our vans but would use breakdown cover if we did best leave it to the professionals

I'd change it myself , but I don't have a big motorhome. ( VW T4) I would be very concerned on a motorway with a O/S wheel change though.
I think I'd pump in some sealant and inflate the tyre with my 12v inflator and get off the motorway.

I would recommend anybody contemplating changing their own, do a trial run at home and carry suitable wooden blocks/ jack support and a bar and tongue wrench!

Yes , I take the wheels off my van at home a couple of times a year and clean the bolts , I take the spare out of the cradle once a year and grease the retaining bolt.

My question is .....Do you grease your nuts ? or bolts ? I always grease mine.
Some folks say you can get a smoother tightening with a bit of grease on the threads, some say they will vibrate loose.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back