Punctures ?

Only ever had to have one changed and this was in a refuge area close to main carriageway of A1 motorway in NE Spain. With cradle arrangement would have taken me forever to do so no brainer to call breakdown people. Took much longer to find us despite detailed location as marker posts not identified on motorway which I always thought they were!!!!

I find to many folk cannot change a wheel,to me it should be part of passing a driving test along with being able to dip /refill oils and water,i can understand old or incapasitated folk having probs but any others no.
You are ment to do a walk around before starting of but punctures do seem to have a habit of sneaking up on us all.

I had a rear wheel puncture in the Summer and called the RAC to put the spare on. The biggest difficulty was extracting the spare from its cradle. No way I could have done that. A motorhome is an ideal vehicle to wait for the breakdown service in.
I have had 2 punctures, one a horrid affair on a motorway and one a gentle (!!) one. I called out the breakdown people as they have better gear and I have paid for the service!

I had a blow out on a busy main road on the way to Norwich. When I came to get everything out my wheel brace (one of those extending handle ones) was missing along with a couple of other bits. I must have taken them out at son in laws one visit and left there.

Called breakdown that’s with insurance and they arrived fairly soon. I lifted the rear End on air assist so mechanic could get under and find suitable spot for large trolley jack.

This guy was a lot younger, fitter and stronger than me and he was bouncing up and down on a long bar before the bolts would crack, no way would I have been able to do them if I had tools.

I do now have everything except a scaffold pipe which I am fairly sure I would need six foot to stand a chance. I would call breakdown if I get another without a doubt

I am thinking of mounting a spare wheel on the back of my Carthago. Any advice on that welcome.

My question is .....Do you grease your nuts ? or bolts ? I always grease mine.
Some folks say you can get a smoother tightening with a bit of grease on the threads, some say they will vibrate loose.
You might find that wheel nuts/studs should be tightened up dry as oiling or greasing will lead to overtorquing and potential bolt/ stretch leading to premature failure.

I used to carry a scaffold pipe on my truck and bent quite a few!
Never needed that for the M/H, just a small bar. Maybe they were over tightened!
I suspect it had grown on Graham, alloy wheels and steel bolts, saying that though I had all brakes checked early summer, can you check Sprinter brakes without removing wheels?

If you got a puncture when out in your van , do you change the wheel yourself or do you call your breakdown company to change it for you ? . I would have a go at changing it myself ,unless I was stopped on a dangerous road or motorway .
Have had tyres filled with that gunge supposed to negate punctures.

Bernie

I would just call the breakdown insurance, put the kettle on and wait. Lifting 3.5 Tonnes, and getting the wheel off, not to mention getting the spare wheel out usually in the dark and on a narrow lane or busy road, sorry but I'm not doing that any more..

I'd do the same as I've always done with my cars.

Stick some air in to limp to the nearest tyre place. If that doesn't work (quite often it has done; when a nail or something goes in, the rubber initailly lets out the air but then seals around the hole) then I call the RAC.

It is not recommended that you do it yourself, particularly on motorways or fast moving dual carriageways.

Why so many? seems something is not quite right!
edit
What I should have said, is what is the cause?

Basically I took the dealers word for it that there were all new tires on it when I bought it, they did look in good condition with deep treads. He lied, the van must have been standing for some time because the tires cracked right down to the canvas along the tread pattern, I then discovered there was no spare first time out in it. My tire guy told me they were 2007 tires as shown on the sidewall (for those like me who are unaware of this fact there is a code on the sidewall usually 4 figures "3407" the first 2 is the week number, the last 2 is the year). As it's a twin rear wheel van it took 6 tires plus the spare to put things right.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back