Racist terms please read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admin

Administator

We have a zero tolerance for the use of racist terms on the forum. I do understand that in the past some terms were considered acceptable that are now racist. Please be careful when you post.

You can easily search Google to find which terms are unacceptable.

It seems to me that the problem here is that the words are the 'front' to underlying intentions which include racism, hatred, discrimination, xenophobia, bigotry etc.
Words alone have no meaning - they are used to represent an object, idea, sentiment etc.
So the word 'chink' can mean a narrow slit in an object - which isn't racist or offensive. When it is used to describe somebody with an epicanthic fold (a skin fold of the upper eyelid) it is, to me, very offensive and racist because the word is used to refer to somebody in a demeaning, insulting, ridiculing way.
Such uses of words need to be called out whenever and wherever they occur, including here on MH and WC. So I fully support Phil's zero tolerance policy as restated at post #1 above.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

The fact of the matter is that if it causes offence then it is unacceptable.

Society has thankfully moved on and what people of a certain generation thought was acceptable now is not. All societies evolve and are better for it. Whether you think it is "PC" or people are being over sensitive trust me, your words DO cause offence!

Would you make fun of people with physical disabilities?
Would you joke about the Holocaust?
Would you go up to someone in the street and poke fun of them to their face?

No of course you wouldn't but where do you draw the line? Someone from Ireland has arleady been on here quite rightly explaining how Irish jokes are offensive, yet 2 other members at least have thought it funny to make fun of the Welsh! Outmoded racial stereotypes are exactly that: out moded.

Also why is it thought to be acceptable from the barrier of a keyboard?
Also why do folks think its acceptable to hide behind their age?

It is wrong at any age and we are all able to adapt our behaviours.

Whatever language people from BAME backgrounds or LGBTQ+ or even regional backgrounds for example, choose to use is totally up to them and they "own" those words. If you are not of the same background you do not have permission to use those wrds expecially is in almost every case the words are used to poke fun. This is bullying pure and simple and causes hurt whether you think so or not.

I support Phil in starting this thread as we should not have to come on to a site like this and feel offence. There are other forums where the rules are more lax on these kind of things!

Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back