Radiator Fan Switch Problem

• Thread starter Deleted member 7876
  • Start date

Deleted member 7876

Hello, thanks for having me , new member here.
I have a 1999 Peugeot Boxer based 1.9TurboDiesel
The secondary fan was coming on but not going off. I had to get underneath and physically disconnect the fan motor, until the coolant was stone cold whereupon I could plug it back in until next time the fan came on.
This pointed to the fan sensor switch in the bottom of the radiator, I changed this sensor switch but now the fans don't come on at all.
Can someone explain how I should go about testing the system, or point me to somewhere that explains it.?
There's also 2 X 30amp relays in a box on the radiator, how do these fit in the system and how can I check them.?

Thanks in advance all.

Sorry no idea but this will bring it up the page for a while.

Welcome to the forum and good luck, meanwhile have you looked on YouTube in case anyone has filmed a solution.

The temp sensor is just a switch. It will close at a set temperature. First check that the switch is getting 12V feed and continuity for the earth lead.
Just because it's new does not mean it works. I had to try 3 sensors on a Ford cortina before. The sensor can be checked by connecting it to a multi meter then putting tip in boiling water, which should close switch. Then remove from water and switch should open as it cools.

I had this on a 1.9td and it turned out the relays were suffering from spikey contacts which I fixed by taking out the relays and cleaning the contacts up with emery paper.

Cheers

H
I had a look yesterday and the contacts are clean and dry with absolutely no corrosion

Sure your giving the fans a chance to come on when testing them before I've thought they where never coming on an needed a blanket over grill for the engine to get hot enough

Sure your giving the fans a chance to come on when testing them before I've thought they where never coming on an needed a blanket over grill for the engine to get hot enough
Yeah, red temperature warning light was coming on.

OK, so I've checked the relays and they're both working as they should and have the correect resistances.
The fan sensor switch is working as it should
Still no fans when the engine gets hot..

OK, so I've checked the relays and they're both working as they should and have the correect resistances.
The fan sensor switch is working as it should
Still no fans when the engine gets hot..
Trawling through the web I found an old post about a hidden 30amp.fuse.
I looked for, and found said fuse and it was blown.
I've replaced it and so tomorrow I will find out whether it has solved my problems

I always bypass those with a manual switch just in case of failure, did this on all my skoda cars and never had one boil over in traffic.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back