re-boarding the shower/toilet

MilesK

Free Member

Hi

My 1993 VW autosleeper clubman was originally bought by my brother as a bit of a project. He had all new window seals, new vents and skylights put in to ensure everything was leak tight and she (Matilda is warm and dry). Unfortunately my brother passed away before he ever got to use her and I bought her to help his widow out. My wife and I have always been keen campers so this was a natural next step. I have had a full habitat survey done and full service and MOT and so I know she is a solid keeper. The first owner of 23 years spared no cost in her maintenance but one of the more recent owners seems obsessed with drilling holes in absolutely everything. I am competent at DIY and will happily re-board or repaper the interior to fix these holes and fill and varnish the woodwork. However the idiot also drilled holes in the shower and toilet boarding. There is no damp to sort out in the toilet/shower but it would be good to sort the holes and and also give it a refresh. Its a standard 2 foot by 2 foot space with cassette toilet and drop down basin. I have been pondering several options but would appreciate the view points of owners with more experience than I have. So do I
1) Get in there with waterproof self adhesive wallpaper and repaper in situ
2) Remove the existing boards and repaper somewhere more convenient like the kitchen table
3) If I am taking the boards out just use the old ones as a template and put new ones in
4) Its a small but important space and there is no damp to fix just straight replacement so get it done professionally

All advice gratefully received

Thanks

Miles

Looking at my autosleeper the shower walls don't look very waterproof, hope I'm wrong, check out high gloss waterproof shower and ceiling panels

Last edited:
MilesK
All advice gratefully received

Thanks

Miles

You might want to join our sister site https://motorhomebuilder.com/ (it is free to join) where there are loads of nutters like me who like to make something out of nothing!
It always helps when putting up posts like yours if they are accompanied by several photographs.

There are a few on the site who have done builds on your type of van, but most of us are into things quite a lot larger, however in all things concerned with building or repairs, large or small, the problems have very similar cures.

I think a good picture of the problem might help here.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back