Rear view/reversing camera gremlins

Carrerasax

Fiat ducato 2016 Bessacarr camera display went blank mid-flight along A30 in the torrential rain today.
On stopping and restarting it initially came in for 3 seconds, now 8-10 before going blank.
Anyone else experienced this.
Disappointing if rain can do this!!!!

Last edited:
All seems ok now, dried out? Pretty rubbish if so!!!!!! Shouldn’t rear view cameras be watertight!!!!!!

It may not be the camera. It is more likely to be a connection getting damp or wet. If the power is supplied from the reversing light, that could be the culprit.

It may not be the camera. It is more likely to be a connection getting damp or wet. If the power is supplied from the reversing light, that could be the culprit.
It wouldn't be supplied from the reversing light or it would not have gone blank driving along the A30 (I am guessing he wasn't reversing along it ;)), it could be a connection problem though, when trotters camera stopped working you could see that it was full of water

Alas spoke too soon . Not working again!!!!

Every one I have had or fitted works of the reversing light cluster, even the canbus ones.

I always take the camera power lead to the dash area along with the data cable, then fuse and switch it so I can control when the camera is on, rather than it only working with reverse gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have double, rear view and reversing.

I hope comments don’t mean rear light clusters are leaking again as I’ve had both replaced under warranty!!!

I pick up the camera feed only from the reversing lights, and use an ign live for the monitor, I switch manually.

I have double, rear view and reversing.

I hope comments don’t mean rear light clusters are leaking again as I’ve had both replaced under warranty!!!
It will not be wired to them

I pick up the camera feed only from the reversing lights, and use an ign live for the monitor, I switch manually.
That is fine for a reversing camera but a rear view camera cannot be wired to the reversing lights or it wouldn't work

Good point Tezza, I confess to missing the rearview aspect, I'm just bad :( :(

Only ever had that on one van and i didn't fit it, I never used it either 30 years using door mirrors for info is hard to dismiss and the camera always confused things.

I've had cameras on my last 5 vans, mostly they work fine but I had the occasional glitch where the camera was not as waterproof as it should have been and on another occasion the din plug to the monitor had become corroded / oxidized. I usually have 2 cameras, reversing and rear view, the reversing I take from either the reversing light or more often from the gear box reversing switch as it's closer to the dash where the monitor lives.

They normally have two live feeds one for reversing & one for driving if you watch the screen and select 1st gear it comes up AV1 & then select reverse it will flash up AV2

Is it possible to ad dash cam rear view and front with extra camera behind mirror display unit?

It depends some dashcam have a AV out port which is just a little hole & it will say AV out & the opposite on your monatar AV in

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back