Recomendations for QUIET Compact Generators

bjkered

Hi this is NOT about the rights or wrongs of using generators.

But I am looking to replace my little compact generator with some thing a bit more quiet.
There are the Honda ones E10 and E22i but before i spend a lot of money I was wondering if there were any alternatives that people use or can recomend.

Please keep posts to recomendations or avoidance that people have experience on in terms of generator models etc

Efoy fuel cell. Not a large output but apparently can tick away silently all day and all night. Probably not the cheapest option.

Reactions: 2cv
Efoy fuel cell. Not a large output but apparently can tick away silently all day and all night. Probably not the cheapest option.
Hmmmm ..."not the cheapest option"..... that could be rather an understatement o_O

Depends what output power you want and how much you want to spend really (and how loud your current one is as well if you want a quieter one).

I have a Briggs-Stratton P2200 - 1700W Continuous Power, 2200W Peak. It is bigger physically than the Honda EU10i and bit bigger than the EU20i .
Bought from Amazon - https://amzn.to/2O4MzgW.

Used it very little so far (bought it last December mainly for when I go away off-grid to festivals AND need extra power for my show Gazebo and that season doesn't start for a couple of months).

This is some video of it running. Bear in mind the camera and mic are within a a few inches of the Generator.

Hmmmm ..."not the cheapest option"..... that could be rather an understatement o_O

Depends what output power you want and how much you want to spend really (and how loud your current one is as well if you want a quieter one).

I have a Briggs-Stratton P2200 - 1700W Continuous Power, 2200W Peak. It is bigger physically than the Honda EU10i and bit bigger than the EU20i .
Bought from Amazon - https://amzn.to/2O4MzgW.

Used it very little so far (bought it last December mainly for when I go away off-grid to festivals AND need extra power for my show Gazebo and that season doesn't start for a couple of months).

This is some video of it running. Bear in mind the camera and mic are within a a few inches of the Generator.
That looks decent, it's not only half the price of the Honda EU20i it's half the weight :D

gennies.png

Regards,
Del

Honda everytime, i have both. The EU20i and an EU30IS that I use on a shoot I help run. Both have had a hard life and have never let me down.
Like most things you get what you pay for. The previous post highlights the weights and the EU20i is approx 24 kg. My EU30IS doesn’t even weigh 50kg !

Think someone forgot to convert lbs to Kg in that? Just looked up and EU20i is "under 47lbs" - so around 21Kg or so. (I think the size quoted is the box size as well!)

You'd be pushed to get under 4 figures for a EU20i I would think?

Costco has the Honda for not much over £1000 including the VAT. I bought one as I was fed up with cheaper ones we had used. We've had it for more than 8 years - top quality, quiet and ultra reliable. Easy to service yourself. If you ever come to sell it, they go for good money used on ebay so it could end up costing you less than a cheaper one which will be worthless after a few years.

Last year I met a Frenchman who told me that he had a generator that runs very quietly on LPG, connected in to his onboard gas system. Sorry, I didn't ask him for details of make, etc.

Another vote for Honda here I’ve got two EU20i one lives in the motorhome hardly ever used the other gets used every other day and runs all day never missed a beat as said Costco best place to buy you get a five year guarantee from them.

We have had a Hyundai hy1000i for a few years now, never let us down yet , a hell of a lot cheaper than a Honda

Costco has the Honda for not much over £1000 including the VAT. I bought one as I was fed up with cheaper ones we had used. We've had it for more than 8 years - top quality, quiet and ultra reliable. Easy to service yourself. If you ever come to sell it, they go for good money used on ebay so it could end up costing you less than a cheaper one which will be worthless after a few years.
Having a Honda in the boot sitting doing nothing most of the time is a lot of money to have sitting around. This is why I went for another more cost-effective option.
Briggs-Stratton are hardly a new name in the field, being around a lot longer than Honda (they are over 100 years old) and are the world's largest producer of air-cooled petrol engines for outdoor power equipment.
With that pedigree and a saving of well over £600 over a Honda (I paid £400 brand-new for my P2200) I think it was a good buy.

I heard Daves Briggs and Stratton run at the frog meet and it was quiet to me, a bit heavy for me to lug around but it’s twice the size I was looking for. Looks a decent bit of kit though

I have a Champion 2300W inverter generator. It's similar to the Honda 2.0 for weight (about 25kg) and only very slightly more noisy, but less than half the price. They also do a smaller 1000w version

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back