Recommendations for size

........... we usually reverse park to avoid idiots blocking us in, ...........
You are so right Kev. We took our PVC to a tiny car park in Presteigne because I wanted to visit the Judges Lodging. (It's a Kilvert/Venables thing.)

Two cars parked up against us on either side, effectively blocking us in. No problem, hopped into the van through the rear barn doors, reversed, and away.

I would have liked to see their faces when they returned.

Using the van and the blue badge creates some interesting looks, they think it's not allowed feckin idiots.

I suggested to my MP that there should be a credit card version as well, he agreed there might be places where it could be used as well.

Thanks. We will stick at 6m. Most conversions we have found do not have a toilet or much space for one, looking at used and a good few years old. I have a folding mobility scooter, but that is only good on smooth surfaces.

So sorry, I'm forgetting my manners.

Welcome to Motorhomer from me. Apart from the incredible cameraderie, one of the things I like best is that politics is forbidden, and that makes it a really nice place to belong.

There are quite a few disabled members who also own mobility scooters, and their input on how they deal with things is invaluable for others.

Correction: Third paragraph. Thinks to things. Sorry.

Last edited:
Thanks. We will stick at 6m. Most conversions we have found do not have a toilet or much space for one, looking at used and a good few years old. I have a folding mobility scooter, but that is only good on smooth surfaces.
Yes, mine is a Solax Smarti folding one, it's not too bad on rough surfaces but crap in gravel carparks, it goes through the hab door ok on our 6.1m van, but it's too heavy for me to lift now so I've made a winch arrangement that works really well.

Might I suggest you take a few test drives including a supermarket car park, until then you are not 100% sure of what might or might not work, you also get to try different layouts

We are thinking of selling our swb Citroen relay conversion next year and getting a bigger one. It has a seating area that pulls out to be a double bed and also has a toilet room .it easily fits in parking spaces we are based in Chorley Lancashire if you are interested

Most new 4wd pick-ups are now about 5.3m long and they can (just) park in normal spaces. Anything over about 5.4m will greatly restrict your parking options, so I consider 5.4 the sweet spot for practicality.

I assume there's 2 of you, as Trotter says it depends on how you wish to use the van.
If you intend long journey's in Europe, for instance and you intend to use campsites then a smaller van will be ok but if you wish to use Aires or wild camp you need to consider that you'll be in the van a lot more as it isn't always allowed to sit outside, i e camp. Also there will be days when the weather isn't suitable to sit outside aswell.
We have a 7 metre long van and yes it is more difficult to park but we've always found somewhere. We do go away for about 6 months over the year to attend meets and Portugal in the winter and have had various vans but my advice is try and decide whether you want to camp or live in the van and choose it from that decision rather than parking to go shopping or visiting places, as that is a small part if your use of the van.

A toilet is most important in a van, i often wonder what these folk do in the middle of the night when ruffis requires to be emptied. 😂

Do you really need that aerial up all the time cameras are transmitting
Obviously. Otherwise next door's telly would be buggered. Init.

Gave you a (y) for your comment. Couldn't find the 🖕 in the Like link. ;)

Last edited:
👆It am in the smileys top of the text box

We have a 6 metre narrow coachbuilt.
We need two spaces lengthwise unless there is some grass overhang.
A lot of national trust places have coach parking which you can use if needed.

If you can walk across a supermarket carpark then parking around the edges is the best place and be sure to reverse park, a reversing camera is a godsend for that, sensors are crap usually. Most parking places only have side lines not end lines so hanging out isn't a problem, and if you can park at the top of a T like below it all gets easier as you can just drive forward and away.

1701793772476.png

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back