Recommendations please

Gav

Free Member

Looking for a deep cycle gel battery, I have 100w solar panel, (I'm a bit of a novice in this area)

looking for advice on what one to buy,

thanks for any advice

Regards

Gav

I'm very happy with my Leoch AGM160 battery. It's a bit of a beast weighing in at around 43kg and it's not the smallest of batteries. Alpha Batteries were competitive when I bought mine and you get a discount for being on here ( or Wildcamping?)
Worth putting on your shortlist in my opinion.
Let us know what you decide.
K ;)

Reactions: Gav
I'm very happy with my Leoch AGM160 battery. It's a bit of a beast weighing in at around 43kg and it's not the smallest of batteries. Alpha Batteries were competitive when I bought mine and you get a discount for being on here ( or Wildcamping?)
Worth putting on your shortlist in my opinion.
Let us know what you decide.
K ;)
Thanks still looking into all the parts I need as will need new charge system to

Why gel? they cost more but are no better. Personally, I'd choose AGM, but not gel.
But the important measure is how heavy the battery is. It should weigh AT LEAST 300 grammes* per 12v Ah.
So a 100Ah 12v battery should weigh at least 30KG.
Best not to buy a single battery weighing more than 50KG, because they're too difficult to handle. I know: some of my batteries weigh 75KG each. I'd have bought two smaller ones instead if they hadn't been such a stonking bargain.
Leoch or Fullriver are the brands I suggest.
*Not 30 grammes, as I originally typed

Last edited:
Why gel? they cost more but are no better. Personally, I'd choose AGM, but not gel.
But the important measure is how heavy the battery is. It should weigh AT LEAST 30 grammes per 12v Ah.
So a 100Ah 12v battery should weigh at least 30KG.
Best not to buy a single battery weighing more than 50KG, because they're too difficult to handle. I know: some of my batteries weigh 75KG each. I'd have bought two smaller ones instead if they hadn't been such a stonking bargain.
Leoch or Fullriver are the brands I suggest.

300 Grammes per amp I reckon.

I’ve recently been investigating all battery types as I’ve never been happy with the cheapo ones fitted to my 8 month old Pilote.
My charger has the facility to charge all types, easily changed in the hab control panel. To be honest I’m at a loss as to what to go for, lithium out due to cost and the more I investigate the more I get confused regarding gel and agm, good and bad reviews a plenty online. I reckon I will stick to lead acid and go for either Banner, Leoch, Bosch / Varta silver frame.

Did consider Trojan Batteries as they come highly recommended by many including members on both our sites.
Not cheap which wouldn’t have put me off but on checking them out on Tanya batteries website I noticed they only have a 1 year warranty ?

I've got Trojans and can't fault them (4yrs). I check electrolyte levels regularly and that is the only maintenance they need.

Looking for a deep cycle gel battery, I have 100w solar panel, (I'm a bit of a novice in this area)

looking for advice on what one to buy,

thanks for any advice

Regards

Gav
i went to halfords and got 2 , you need .the little boxes as well, mine was fitted by falcon. near warrington, did a very
good job. ok.pj

I've got Trojans and can't fault them (4yrs). I check electrolyte levels regularly and that is the only maintenance they need.
Nice to here real life experience with batteries, may still consider Trojan but I’m nervous spending £300.00 on 2 x batteries and only getting a years warranty.
I’m going to a bit of research with battery suppliers who sell Trojan to see if any offer more than a years warranty.
I appreciate topping up is dependent on use / charging regime but how often do you have to top them up ?

Nice to here real life experience with batteries, may still consider Trojan but I’m nervous spending £300.00 on 2 x batteries and only getting a years warranty.
I’m going to a bit of research with battery suppliers who sell Trojan to see if any offer more than a years warranty.
I appreciate topping up is dependent on use / charging regime but how often do you have to top them up ?

I check monthly but only have to top up about every 3 months. I have 330w solar and b2b. Alpha are the best I found for price and information

Thank you All Above for a warm welcome & advice, Hope to meet many of you at events and travels to share a coffee and a smile

Just checked Alpha batteries, 5 years warranty on 12 Volt 105 amp battery. Tanya only give 1 year ?
I will be seriously considering Trojan from Alpha later this year.

I spoke with Alpha batteries and they were very very helpful, went through the current equipment I have, to get me started they said use https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/12v-100ah-exide-et650-leisure-battery-ncc-class-a/ Wet acid battery, with options latter to upgrade my current charger battery to battery, Thanks for all advice above, I'm 100% novice to all of this and can't thank you all enough for advice

I spoke with Alpha batteries and they were very very helpful, went through the current equipment I have, to get me started they said use https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/12v-100ah-exide-et650-leisure-battery-ncc-class-a/ Wet acid battery, with options latter to upgrade my current charger battery to battery, Thanks for all advice above, I'm 100% novice to all of this and can't thank you all enough for advice
26.5KG for a 100Ah battery: fails the weight test for "good" by a considerable margin, though I consider anything over 250g/Ah to be acceptable. so it scrapes by. Claimed 350 cycle life. You may get half that. I'd not buy a battery that claimed less than 600 or more.

Last edited:
26.5KG for a 100Ah battery: fails the weight test for "good" by a considerable margin, though I consider anything over 250g/Ah to be acceptable. so it scrapes by. Claimed 350 cycle life. You may get half that. I'd not buy a battery that claimed less than 600 or more.
Just checked more or less all Trojan 12 volt batteries Alpha have for sale and all around 230 x 270 Grammes per amp.
I’ve heard mentioned that for deep cycle batteries the ideal is 300 Grammes per amp, I stand to be corrected as no expert by any means.
The Trojan 12 v x 105 amp deep cycle battery I was looking at for £179.00 are 265 Grammes per amp.

Just checked more or less all Trojan 12 volt batteries Alpha have for sale and all around 230 x 270 Grammes per amp.
I’ve heard mentioned that for deep cycle batteries the ideal is 300 Grammes per amp, I stand to be corrected as no expert by any means.
The Trojan 12 v x 105 amp deep cycle battery I was looking at for £179.00 are 265 Grammes per amp.
I am getting confused, the Wet battery Alpha recommended a bad choice ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back