Renewing Driving Licence at Age 70

Hi All,

Does anyone know how long before your licence ends you can get your medical done? Or to put it another way, how long is the medical form valid for?

Thanks guys.

Graham
If you send the forms in earlier than 3 weeks before renewal date they might start the 3 year licence from that date not your birthday.

If you send the forms in earlier than 3 weeks before renewal date they might start the 3 year licence from that date not your birthday.
[/QUOTE
My experience with the DVLA over several occasions when renewing my LGV license.
The expiry date is set on the day of issue. IE. If it’s a three year extension, and you applied today, by the time they get around to issuing, it would expire somewhere around Christmas 2025.
During the seven years I worked over 65, I’m sure I had at least one free license.

My renewal was February. I sent the forms in just under three months before. The new licence arrived in January, with Feb start and end dates. Presumably my old licence covered the gap, even though I didn't have it.

By the way, when you pay doctors4drivers £55, the doctor gets about £15 of that. So lots will offer a better price if you contact them directly.

My renewal was February. I sent the forms in just under three months before. The new licence arrived in January, with Feb start and end dates. Presumably my old licence covered the gap, even though I didn't have it.

By the way, when you pay doctors4drivers £55, the doctor gets about £15 of that. So lots will offer a better price if you contact them directly.
Jan also used D4Drivers. Her new licence starts and expires a couple of months before her birthday -- so she's "lost" that time -- but since renewal is FOC except for the cost of the medical, that's not a big issue and it was more important for us to ensure that at least one of us has a current licence to drive in Australia.

Jan also used D4Drivers. Her new licence starts and expires a couple of months before her birthday -- so she's "lost" that time -- but since renewal is FOC except for the cost of the medical, that's not a big issue and it was more important for us to ensure that at least one of us has a current licence to drive in Australia.
I think you may get the birthday renewal if you get the application in with more than 56 days left on the old license, no need for a new photo either so it looks like it is some form of continuation rather than a new start. I also get the impression it is processed a bit quicker, possibly less work for the DVLA.

I think you may get the birthday renewal if you get the application in with more than 56 days left on the old license, no need for a new photo either so it looks like it is some form of continuation rather than a new start. I also get the impression it is processed a bit quicker, possibly less work for the DVLA.
Both Jan and I had paper-only licences since we've not moved since 1990. So she had to submit a photo on the D2 form as well as enclose the completed D4 medical. Perhaps her giving her passport number for ID purposes might have also helped speed things a bit?

Sent mine off today. No new photo but passport number added. See how it goes.

Cheers

H

Sent mine off today. No new photo but passport number added. See how it goes.

Cheers

H
I thought the passport number was only needed if you were submitting a new photo, so that they could verify the new photo against the passport picture. Saves having to get it signed and verified by a witness.

Are they now saying they can copy the passport photo instead submitting a new one?

Chucked the notes now but I read it as a fresh photo is not required if you’re extending an existing license only for a new one or if you want to update the image (£17 fee).

In keeping with all of these forms, they’ll make perfect sense to the people who write them. However, if you supply all the info, but not necessarily in the precise format, the mk1 humanoid should be able to sort it.

Given the frequency of these age 70 applications, I think it would merit a specific form for this transaction rather than one which covers about five options.

Cheers

H

i renewed mine a couple of years ago with DforDrivers they carried out the medical supplied the form & filled in the relavant parts for me , got to do it again this year 😳🤔
I had to do it a couple of weeks ago "D4DRIVERS" the Doc fills it in, apart your details and I posted it on the 10th August, in the lap of the gods now :(:unsure:

Completed my application online 19th August, and new licence arrived this morning.

Only 5 days and I'm delighted. A thumbs up to the DVLA. (y)

Completed my application online 19th August, and new licence arrived this morning.

Only 5 days and I'm delighted. A thumbs up to the DVLA. (y)
If you have reached 70, you used to have C1 entitlement but if you renewed online, now you won't. The good news is that the entitlement isn't permanently lost: you can apply for a new licence with C1 in future (assuming you can pass the medical).

if they’re removing the C1 for all drivers to get round the shortage of hgv drivers will we still need to renew at age 70?

Presumably not a C1 though!
You're quite right. I kicked my C1 into touch over 5 years ago.

My reason is simply that I can't see myself ever driving over 3500 again. I didn't realise it was still possible to reinstate it - as of today's date the medical would be a doddle....so thank you Geek. 👍

I had to do it a couple of weeks ago "D4DRIVERS" the Doc fills it in, apart your details ...
When you pay d4drivers your £55 the doctor gets about £18 of that. Many of those doctors will do it direct for £25 or so. It's worth asking so you have contact details for the renewal in three years.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back