Repairing small crack in skylight

jagmanx

I could try superglue but I expect there is something better.
The crack is about 6 to 9 inches long....Thanks

Last edited:
Many Thanks for the responses.
A) I fully understand the idea of drilling holes but the unit is a double glazed item on the slightly sloping cab roof.
drilling a hole would mean the hole would also need sealing so at this stage I will apply the Araldite Crystal to the crack and monitor it

B) crack caused by stupidity

C) I have ordered this
Araldite® Crystal 15ml Tube x 21£6.49

Even though you have some reservations, you really need to drill a small hole just in front of the 'toe' of the crack. This is to relieve stress at that point. The crack will run into the hole and then stop. If you don't do this, the crack will continue to propagate even after repair due to the stress remaining in the end of the crack. For info, this applies to repairing cracks in any metal or rigid plastic. HTH, Geoff

Lot's of good advice hope its fixed and thanks for phrasing the point so that us oldies can visualise it (6-9 inches)

Is the crack on the inner or outer skin ,dose the crack start from a fixing like a window catch ,i would look at a repair being temporary fix until new panel could be found .

Thanks
Both inner and outer.
Yes it starts where the perspex is joined to the cab roof with a rubber waterproof surround.
but not a fixing just the rubber seal. The skylight is in a fixed non-opening hole in the roof
look at second image.
New panel not available for Lunar motorhomes (13 year old and discontinued).
The damage is minimal .....a proper repair will do as the cosmetics are of minor concern as we usually have the blind closed anyway.
Will do the repair and monitor for damp.
If need be a strip of Roof Repair tape 4in wide by 8in long may be also be needed.

Their is a company that makes windows to pattern sorry can't remember their name but. Mr google will find them .good luck with repair .

Thanks again Barry ( I think that is your name)

Last edited:
A local company in High Wycombe might repair
I have also ordered Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure which seems very similar to the Araldite product I posted earlier

Any preferences please ?

The other company. I tried confirmed..
No part available !
As I suspected (knew).
Good Repair best option !

WELD IT, with a hot , high power,soldering iron, I repair all manner of cracks in plastics like that. Be careful and it will not look that bad.

Why not do what I did and claimed on my Windscreen cover, only had to pay the excess and does not effect the no claims?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back