Replacing a kindle battery

GMJ

Mrs GMJ's Kindle battery is not holding charge well these days so its time for a replacement. Rather than throw it away and buy new I thought about replacing the battery.

Has anyone else done this? Is it as easy as the You Tube vids suggest?

ta

Its fairly straightforward the hardest bit is releasing the old battery as its held in by very strong double sided tape. (kindle 8.9 hdx)
I bought the best replacement battery I could find, but its still nowhere near as good as the original.

• Thank You
Reactions: GMJ
Thanks

The Kindle was bought in 2017 so she has had 5 years use out of it. I reckon its worth a punt if it can stretch its life a little rather than fork out 70 quid for a new one.

Definately, I changed the battery 2 years ago and am still using it, but the new battery doesnt perform well in the cold ( below 10C).
I had to deform the old battery to get it out so did this part outside just in case!

• Thank You
Reactions: GMJ
Don't want to brag.....
I bought a Kindle fire last November.
They were on offer at £29.99.
You might get lucky, too.

The Kindle Fire is a tablet rather than a reader isn't it?

Ye
The Kindle Fire is a tablet rather than a reader isn't it?
Yes and worth with every penny.. ( apart from the nagging and nudging from Amazon )

We have an original Kindle reader, still going strong.
Great for just reading books.
Recharge it 2 or 3 times a year

I'm not after a tablet. I have bought a battery and if that doesn't work I'll get Mrs GMJ a new kindle reader. Now I will be impressed if you can get a new one of those for 30 quid :)

Hi
Opening the Kindl is as easy as youtube suggests.
DO NOT FACTORY RESET!!
youtube (elsewhere) says no longer supported so no old or new softwear available new battery maybe but usless except as a paper weight

I got me mitts on a third generation Kindle for nowt on the local Freegle group and it never goes on the inter web so Amazon can’t get at it. Lots of books on a computer. I know what you mean about reading on a tablet. No where near as good as a basic reader.

Cheers

H

What a bloody PITA it was changing the battery yesterday!

Not one YouTube video seemed to show my exact model. Then the tiniest screws in the world were not standard Pozi or Philips..they were teeny weeny start shaped. Not having a small star shaped screwdriver or bit I used brute force and ignorance using a small pozi drive and digging it into the crews. It didn't work on all of them so I tried my long nosed pliers...nope: not enough metal to grip on all of them. For some I ended up using nail pincer-type cutters to grip the metal!

Anyway, I managed in the end and it still worked so we'll see how it holds its charge now. Probably best to gauge that after a few charges/discharges I guess.

If it does the job for 14 quid and we can get a few more years out of it, then it was well worth all the effing and jeffing!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back