Replacing shower tray (already) - advice needed

I bought a moulding a few years ago from caravanpanels for the moho I owned at the time. It was the lower rear moulding, the one that runs across the rear and holds the light clusters. It was very poor quality with just one layer of glass mat. The gel coat soon started to craze. I tried to contact them but they blanked me.

I hope your shower tray is more substantial than that. It should have, at least three layers of glass mat. Like others have said, I don't understand the 16mm convex distortion. GRP moulding is a cold process and, for a simple component like a shower tray, it will just cure to the shape of the mould. I am afraid that I call BS on their underlay suggestion; it's just made badly.

Sorry not to be more positive but forewarned is forearmed.

I bought a moulding a few years ago from caravanpanels for the moho I owned at the time. It was the lower rear moulding, the one that runs across the rear and holds the light clusters. It was very poor quality with just one layer of glass mat. The gel coat soon started to craze. I tried to contact them but they blanked me.

I hope your shower tray is more substantial than that. It should have, at least three layers of glass mat. Like others have said, I don't understand the 16mm convex distortion. GRP moulding is a cold process and, for a simple component like a shower tray, it will just cure to the shape of the mould. I am afraid that I call BS on their underlay suggestion; it's just made badly.

Sorry not to be more positive but forewarned is forearmed.
Really not what I wanted to hear, but thank you for sharing

I emailed them for a price and fitting instruction hours ago, no reply so far

I future proof my shower room and fitted a 1000 x 700 mm resin shower tray.Having looked at the crap ones they where selling for campervan.I had to do away with the cassette toilet and use a porta potty so I can lift it out when needing a shower and it works perfect .
I use a curtain across the door on 6 suction cups and again its spot on
20240317_141740.jpg20240315_161601.jpg

I tarted a van with a cracked tray by making my own wet room floor from 4 pieces of 18mm plywood sloping towards the waste and an upstand at the door. Covered it with an offcut of vinyl flooring. Looked great when it was finished.

Reading through most of these honestly makes me think that the manufacturers of the glass-fibre tray are a total waste of space.

Quite frankly shower trays of any description in any material I know of are NOT supposed to flex, this was a lesson I learned 10 or more years ago in my SBMCC days, where I also learned that arguably one of the most important aspects of any self build is the absolute fit and strength of the shower tray support, this is probably why the (basic Magnum Motorhome vacuum formed) shower tray in my 'Millie' is as in as good a condition now as it was 10 years ago when I first fitted it, despite very extensive use over tens of thousands of miles.

If it was me, I would insist on a full money back refund and somehow totally re-jig and generally rebuild your support frame so that a replacement vacuum formed tray becomes a perfect fit. Oh and by the way, the support frame for my tray took longer to make than anything else in the build!

Good luck, but don't cut corners.

Phil

I paid £27 for our discontinued tray from Magnums, quite a lot of the build came from there or the place in Rotherham.

I got some stuff LW boardsetc from a place in Rother have as they were much cheaper but buggered if I can remember the name

Brain clicked into gear briefly & I checked my phone as I rang them to check stock.

1721895402829.jpeg

I've seen quite a few comments and youtube videos of peoples shower trays cracking. Many people think because of the way the trays are advertised they are made by Thetford or Dometic. A few self builders have gone down the stainless steel route which gives a bombproof solution but they are expensive, £300 - £400

Mild steel and powder coat might save a bit.

I've seen them made out of ply and then covered in resin, looks quite good too.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back