Rest and be thankful road upgrade.

It looks a bit like an anti avalanche shelter like wot they have in't alps, We parked across from there last summer and it's a busy site, a lot of rock bolts going in day and night, with guided traffic and lights.

Why not just dynamite it and use the stones for road/rail construction.
I think I read somewhere a few years ago that was a possibility but surveys said the rock is just too fragile and it'd carry on falling anyway, they must have already spent a few £m already.

If it anything like our two new ferries, it will be a disaster.

There is a smaller version on the road from Plockton to Lochcarron.

I'd forgotten about that, we were up there when they were using the Kyle ferry.

My son in law is a chartered engineer his company were tasked with designing 3 options for the rest and be thankful. This option was the cheapest he showed me some drawings for a type of bridge and tunnel system it looked amazing but ten years and billions to build so we get a glorified bus shelter instead.

Why not just pile and build a 6ft thich catchment barrier, no requirement for the overhead shelter, unless there bouncy boulders.

It'll be a real arse if you have to go that way once they start building it, best avoid the area but it'll kill any touristy place around there.

I assume that the landslips will continue until there is no more to slip, so hopefully that bus stop has the capacity to support it all indefinitely.

A good bit of film within this link

I would say a description of a "tunnel" is reasonable enough. And what the Artists impression shows is much preferable to a full-blown enclosed tunnel as far as I am concerned as well. If this is also a cheaper solution, looks like a win-win to me.
I think having "debris flow shelter" would be meaningless as a headline, but "Tunnel" is a descriptive term that makes sense.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the definition of a "Tunnel". According to Mirriam-Webster, which is one respected source, it can be "a covered passageway" - so that can be legitimately referred to as a "Tunnel".

A lot of the London underground railway is in a tunnel which was mainly cut and cover, it's less boring too ;) ;)

and a lot (maybe even more than half?) of the Underground is actually Overground. (Should call it the LWR really)
This peaked my curiosity (I suffer very badly from 'wilfing') and thought I would check to see if my assertion was right?
It was, but was close!
Apparently 45% of the London Underground is actually underground, and so 55% of the system is overground.
As an nice bit of Trivia, that means that 135 miles of the London Underground is overground, and so the length of overground track on the London Underground is actually longer than the total length of track for the London Overground, which is just 104 miles long.

I don't know how much of the London Overground is underground, but at various points trains running on the London Overground travel underneath trains on the London Underground

I think a rubdown with a damp copy of the Radio Times is in order David.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back