Retirement with 2020 vision

Oh.my.good.grief!!!! I've just realised that I didn't even read your username... just glanced at the avatar and thought, that's Geraldine. Their avatar doesn't even look like that any more! I feel more than just a bit stooopid now :rolleyes:
I'm so sorry Steve and Shirl but still wish you both amazing adventures and the happiest of retirements :giggle:

Hee Hee. Yes I had the avatar for many years on both forums. Changed it once Geraldine the camper had a respray.
Jennie. I retired two years ago now. Managed to get out of my workplace before s**t hit the fan.
We were really looking forward to the meets this year. We will have to wait and see how things pan out.
Happy travels Steve and Shiri.
Cheers. David.

Reactions: S-S
Hee Hee. Yes I had the avatar for many years on both forums. Changed it once Geraldine the camper had a respray.
Jennie. I retired two years ago now. Managed to get out of my workplace before s**t hit the fan.
We were really looking forward to the meets this year. We will have to wait and see how things pan out.
Happy travels Steve and Shiri.
Cheers. David.
Thanks David
We are having happy stationary times at the moment. I think we will be clearing plastic from the beach today.

Last edited:
Sun shining but a bit windy today so thought we’d do our usual thank you to the local community by clearing plastic from the beach for an hour or so. Only managed 2 bags. Pretty clean by UK standards. Sun bathing tomorrow when the wind drops maybe.2F0B5C92-2DC7-4D6F-9172-FA8F9C4DBF0F.jpeg152087B9-89B7-413E-9834-FE950E5943CF.jpeg
Any other eco warriors out there.

Finally given up on Portugal yesterday and started to head home. In northern Spain at the moment and will cross into France this morning. I suspect we are more at risk in the UK but Portugal very close to Spanish style lockdown. A very brief trip indeed and the tunnel is booked for next Wednesday so we will enjoy a saunter up through France if allowed. Might ambush Jeff.

Finally given up on Portugal yesterday and started to head home. In northern Spain at the moment and will cross into France this morning. I suspect we are more at risk in the UK but Portugal very close to Spanish style lockdown. A very brief trip indeed and the tunnel is booked for next Wednesday so we will enjoy a saunter up through France if allowed. Might ambush Jeff.

Good move to get back to UK. The rates of infection are still twice as high in Portugal and nearly 10 times as high in Spain, France 3 times as high. Hope it goes well.

Just slipped over the border above Pamplona on the N135. Beautiful scenic route for those who are slow timing for the tunnel crossing. Spanish police only at the border who just waved us through.

Sat having a well earned whiskey at the side of the river in Sault de Navailles on the D933. Only police we have seen on the journey have been checking vehicles going south. It’s just like Derbyshire only no people. B47F0262-7A80-4692-B053-C55564D58785.jpegGood large secluded cul de sac picnic area with benches. Looks like a peaceful night when we finish enjoying the 22 degree sun on the grass.

Think I was a little optimistic about staying the night. A local gentleman across the river took our photo and made phone call. Didn’t feel right so rather than upset the locals we have moved a few miles down the road and struck very lucky by a lake.
This will do nicely.
B7C6177F-59A4-466B-828A-9316502D692A.jpeg

On up through France today. Checked 3 times by the gendarmes so far. Just showed them a french version of the travel declaration all filled in on the iPhone and they were happy. I think we are travelling too fast for Wednesday eurotunnel, may have to linger a bit. Might stay where we are till lunch tomorrow, nice little hideaway in the woods just north of Angoleme.
6BE2AF6D-19A6-4FC9-BA6B-A309BAE3A341.jpeg

Set off north again today, deserted towns all the way.
2A7E3192-6183-4F8A-928A-6CA53C2E9C08.jpeg
Managed a lunch break in Paulnay aire by a lake, very nice.
077AF958-FAA6-411D-99E7-C7543C7E65EE.jpeg
Travelled onward through a torrential rain storm to find the aire at Bonneval closed by the local council so onward to Chartres for the night. Nice spot but all riverside walks closed for access.
Found some more UK refugees here.
6ED17F8C-B7FE-4966-9CC8-CCA83A11377E.jpeg

Last edited:
Found a lovely spot for lunch near Everaux.
FB0C8AA1-A2AA-46EE-B369-D48F4048B6E2.jpeg
Then Jeffmossy messaged to say he had managed to board the train 2 days early. What a rush up to Calais. We’re now on the train at 17:50 and should be away any minute.
Any others with eurotunnel bookings don’t wait for the right day just turn up.
That’s the easy bit done, now just trying to dodge CV19 in the UK is the big problem.
Our retirement dream is on hold temporarily.
Stay safe everyone.

Arrived home safe ( but are we ) and sound. What a trip. Plenty of time to plan the next one now Boris has caught up with Europe. All the recent refugees from Europe should reassemble on the south coast ready for the big exodus when we get the green light.

For anyone else thinking of Portugal/Spain/anywhere else in the world, I just hope you have checked that your health insurance . . . you do have health insurance, don't you? . . . will cover you, after all the governments (including ours) are serious about enforcing only essential travel. The Portugal News website shows many restrictions now in place, official aires being closed down, nowhere to run to. The Aire at Quarteira closes today (Friday 27th March) many others closed to new arrivals now. Good luck and the best of health to you.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back