Reviews of POI sites

Alun145

Hi. Is there anywhere with reviews/ info for POIs ? Like there used to be by county like the closed ones in Wildcamping??

Not half, a star system would be nice, so if any place got less than two start it was dropped after a while, I stopped using the POIs as some choices of where it was safe to park were ludicrous, IE, main road laybys on the outside of a bend, a few of those, too near to houses, places that looked like they were used for fly tipping etc, and perhaps bit of comment on the place, CR, tells very little at all.

I have continued to look at the places I had already downloaded though, and a lot were no longer possible so if we were to start downloading again, how often is it updated (sorry, just re joined effectively) and does it simply overwrite the previous download? I use KML and pop them into my maps.me app.

Not half, a star system would be nice, so if any place got less than two start it was dropped after a while, I stopped using the POIs as some choices of where it was safe to park were ludicrous, IE, main road laybys on the outside of a bend, a few of those, too near to houses, places that looked like they were used for fly tipping etc, and perhaps bit of comment on the place, CR, tells very little at all.

I have continued to look at the places I had already downloaded though, and a lot were no longer possible so if we were to start downloading again, how often is it updated (sorry, just re joined effectively) and does it simply overwrite the previous download? I use KML and pop them into my maps.me app.

Updated monthly except over winter when it's approx once every 2 months.

Ages since I bothered to download, so can I ask if each download, has a different file name such as the date or something, I ask as if I were stuck I'd use the sites POIs to find somewhere in a strange location, and if it proved good I would change it to another set of POIs so I would know we would like it when we got there, as you can only put some much in a description.

It's ages since I downloaded the POIs too PB. I used to put them on my satnav but haven't done that since the current WC app came out. I've tended to use the app instead and update the POIs whenever I open it... I like the links to Google maps/Earth. The POI map on WC seems to work in the same way. Can't wait for the new app to be launched... exciting!

I have to app, but not used it yet, I found I became too reliant on the WC POIs, and was often disappointed when the place was less than acceptable, this isn't to knock WC, just that peoples idea of where is good place to stay is vastly different, and I'm quite happy to stay in some very rough looking places if need be as is my other half.

Also on the subject can we update the 2 letters IE CR etc to something a bit more meaningful, like actual words :) :) if technology has caught up yet. My memory is rubbish at remembering them.

I have to app, but not used it yet, I found I became too reliant on the WC POIs, and was often disappointed when the place was less than acceptable, this isn't to knock WC, just that peoples idea of where is good place to stay is vastly different, and I'm quite happy to stay in some very rough looking places if need be as is my other half.

Also on the subject can we update the 2 letters IE CR etc to something a bit more meaningful, like actual words :):) if technology has caught up yet. My memory is rubbish at remembering them.

You only have to remember
C car park
L layby
O other
and
R Rural
U urban

There are a lot more letter than that on the website

Thanks you again :D

I had a quick look at the app this morning, got around to activating it at last, and downloaded, it only gives me the options of Wild camp, Pub stop, tap and France, are the others available or is that the limit for now?

Is there any instructions for the app on here?

Doubt they will be
Thanks you again :D

I had a quick look at the app this morning, got around to activating it at last, and downloaded, it only gives me the options of Wild camp, Pub stop, tap and France, are the others available or is that the limit for now?

Is there any instructions for the app on here?
Doubt they will be on here PB as there is going to be a different one for Motorhomer

Yup, dumb question, I shall enquire elsewhere then :D :D :D

Yup, dumb question, I shall enquire elsewhere then :D:D:D
I should have added if you go into the POI section on Wildcamping and then the thread for android or iPhone app it tells you all about it PB, sorry I didn’t mean previous reply to seem so short :)

It didn't feel short, only succinct and to the point :D

Thanks Katherine, I use Maps.me too for all my POIs, none the the rest can touch it for that, I assume the app needs to be online for that, not checked it out really, offline mapping with a sat nav built in would be great, Phil could probably do it too, as it's open source using OSM, he being a brainiac type.

I think the Motorhomer app may do what you mention PB but it wasn’t as easy as first thought due to getting the right mapping technology, Phil did say but I can’t think at the moment.

I prefer to use the app (does need to be online) and maps.me offline, never bothered to put the poi’s on sat nav although it came packed with loads of them. It’s okay if you have a name or postcode/location on sat nav otherwise it just a huge list when you go to navigate.

I don't often use Maps.me for actual navigation, although it does do it okay, but you have no control over the route (although it seems to pick a reasonable one) & the voice does my head in, I've not seen a way to change it, I'm stuck with the awful TTS file so far, I use copilot usually, it just works although last month I went into a 30 zone still doing 40, silly bugger was taking too much notice of the sat nav and not of the signs, hopefully (touch wood) no paperwork on the door mat, I update regularly, I contacted CP and asked why this would be, they teresely replied to uninstall it and re install, no idea if this fixed the issue or not but all been okay since then, I don;t store anything on it so nothing lost but a bit of time loading maps

If my tablet had a SIM card I would have given co pilot a good go, I tried it tethered to phone but was too laggy

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back