RNLI College, Poole

tonybvi

At long last I have managed to book Sue and me into the RNLI College Hotel in Poole for a few days when we stopover before catching the ferry to Guernsey next month. I have been wanting to do this for ages as you can watch the RNLI crews undergoing different forms of training, see the various lifeboats being serviced and maintained and even experience a Shannon class lifeboat simulator. I really regret that my career with long long spells overseas prevented me from applying to become an RNLI crew member and I was too old when we returned permanently to the UK so this is the next best thing for me, especially as I was once rescued by the RNLI!!
As you can tell I’m pretty excited about this! Has anybody else stayed at the college?

A great group of people and we donate quite often, but such a shame it is not publicly funded.

Hi Tony, I didn't know RNLI had a hotel, makes sense though, somewhere to accommodate crew while undergoing training.

I use to enjoy my work base assessment trip to Eyemouth boatyard who employed various apprentices I trained up over the years. Lat time I was there, which was a while back, Eyemouth boat with in the yard, along with the then new Peterhead Tamar class lifeboat. The latter being something else, and brimming with lots of big boys toys. Pic of the stern, hinged area is where the small rescue boat is launched from and then back in for storage.

I have went off the RNLI after they pulled out from St Abbs harbour, leaving the harbour void of a rescue vessels.

DSCF1944.jpgDSCF1950.jpgDSCF1953.jpgDSCF1953.jpgDSCF1972.jpgDSCF1974.jpgDSCF1939.jpgDSCF1952.jpg

I understand why you’ve gone off the RNLI a bit, Terry, but I feel I owe them as they saved me and my pals years back from a sinking yacht off Arran. 3 lifeboats (Largs, Troon, Tighnabruich) plus a coastguard vessel (Hawk) which was in the area and a S&R helicopter all managed to get involved.
The RNLI have also recently taken over the independent lifeboat based in Stonehaven.
However, thank goodness for people like Boyd Tunnock (of tea cake fame) for donating so generously to enable St Abbs to keep running independently.

go down to dover /Calais you can see them every day :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: & if you have a dinghy they will give you a ride out in it.cheyenne

I understand why you’ve gone off the RNLI a bit, Terry, but I feel I owe them as they saved me and my pals years back from a sinking yacht off Arran. 3 lifeboats (Largs, Troon, Tighnabruich) plus a coastguard vessel (Hawk) which was in the area and a S&R helicopter all managed to get involved.
The RNLI have also recently taken over the independent lifeboat based in Stonehaven.
However, thank goodness for people like Boyd Tunnock (of tea cake fame) for donating so generously to enable St Abbs to keep running independently.
Yes of course I totally understand your allegiance to the organisation, takes a special breed of person to volunteer their time putting their lives on the line.

Your near miss off Arran must have been a frightening experience!

Next time we meet up I’ll need to share with you some scary moments I have had off Mull 🫣

Edit: Yes, Boyd Tunnoch is a true Scottish Philanthropist. When I was down installing the new donation box, the crew were telling me of Boyd arriving at the station in his RR, opens RR boot, which is brimming with Tunnoch products, pity he didn’t arrive when doing install, I’m fond of their Tea Cakes !!

Last edited:
Got it in one - stern gland so we lost prop and shaft. OK when sailing fast in a Force 7 but as soon as we slowed to head for anchorage in came the water! If we had been thinking clearer we’d have put a bung in but too busy baling and calling for help! It was way back in 2006.
We were warm and snug inside the lifeboat - only a poor lifeboat man on board our boat for the tow.

Usual culprit Tony, stern gland. Definitely a near miss for you all. One of those events you never forget.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back