Rubik's Cube

Firefox

This is one of my hobbies at the moment.

I have always been able to solve the cube since it first came out at school in the 1980s. I used to be able to do it in about 2 to 3 mins.

Two years ago I started with the modern speed cubes. I learned a load of stuff and practiced, as well as watching You Tube videos.

I can now do it in an average of about 35 seconds. My best is 25 seconds.

I am aiming to get an average of sub 20 seconds which is considered advanced level. World class level is under 10 seconds.

You never get bored if you carry a cube as you can practice while waiting for a train etc. The most common comment I get is someone who tells me they used to peel the stickers off to solve it. The new cubes have solid coloured plastic so that isn't an option! They also have magnets to align the layers in fast turning.

When I get sub 20, I'll give up practicing as the law of diminishing returns appplies, and also I can't match the times of the mainly teenagers who do speed solving. They have faster reactions and faster fingers which become increasingly important at the high levels.

20180929_140621.jpg

Never got one sorted and gave up as a wast of my time where i could be doing something positive.

At a decent level it maintains or improves motor skills, pattern recognition, memory skills, reaction time, and cognitive ability.

Similar to chess, bridge, or crosswords with a fine motor element. To me, these are all pretty positive outcomes.

I`m quite obviously not drunk enough but how on earth do you compare a Rubik`s cube to chess or bridge ?

daughter had one as did all her friends..............solution to accomplishing it was well documented.........a series of twists and turns in the correct order.............thats how kids were able to do it with cube behind their back.....not even looking at the colours etc...............

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back