Rusted bench support - a concern?

I agree with Pudsey Bear, the rust appears minor from what I can see in the photos. Steelwork like this intended as interior fitting only will have been lightly painted and it looks to me like something wet has been stuffed in there and forgotton about for a couple of weeks. it would not put me off an otherwise good van.

K ?

Also the rust is mainly confined the thin base plate which is more for location than anything structural.

It looks like it could be something as simple as a leaking bottle of some sort mild acid such as coke or similar has been stored there. The roof light would be more of a concern.

Any evidence of sand in the area
Perhaps one of the hirers stored beach gear like wetsuits or inflatable dingy that were still wet ?

Rockburner;n15771 said:
There's also this:

The bench seat-support seems ok - I think it's just surface rust from something. I'm going to cover it with ACF-50 (look it up - fabulous stuff) and leave it to do it's stuff.

I fixed the rooflight myself. :) Will upload photos when I get a chance - I simply 'welded' the plastic with a soldering iron, and reshaped the bent upper part with a heat-gun. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back