Sargent EM40 Floor fuse box

GMJ

I have posted before regarding the above which is found in Auto-trail motorhomes. It may well be in other makes too. I have had 2 burn out in the space of 18 months because they simply are not fit for the purpose when it comes to handling the larger current pull for the large fridges in some models.

I found out in the first case when my main control panel started going haywire. A plug and socket had burned out.

In the second case I spelled burning and also - strangely enough - a smell like TCP! It transpired that this was the plug/socket for the fridge burning out!

I got the first one changed and paid for it as it was 4 years old or so, no problem. When it came to the second Sargent would not change it FOC despite it only being 14 months old.

During email conversations they firstly claimed it was because the installer had not used any/enough electrical spray on the connections; and then also tried to blame the fact that I have 2 hab batteries. In the second case this was a ridiculous assertion as my MH came with 2 factory fitted hab batteries and a factory fitted EM40, from new!

All of this despite numerous threads across numerous MH forums saying about the problems. Also since 2022 Auto-trail themselves now fit the EM41 heavy duty box to MH's with larger fridges, thereby highlighting further that the EM40 is not fit for purpose.

I have now upgraded to the EM41 so fingers crossed that this now works.

I write this as it may remind anyone having problems/smelling burning to check your floor box if fitted. In my Comanche I had to remove a piece of side trim behind the drivers seat so I could gently lift the floor box out. There was plenty of give in the cabling to tease the box out so I could have a good look at it.

Back