Sat nav advice please

andyjanet

I have for 6 years had a tomtom truck with pois etc on that I bought from fairy tooth,
This has now died!!!!
I have a iPhone and an iPad that I use as that with wild camping app on
My questions are; can I use the iPad thru the wild camping app to navigate by, it keeps taking me to google maps which don’t show pois when I am driving past them they only show up if I navigate to them , is there a better mapping system than google maps to use with wild camping app, help I don’t have access to a pc or laptop so everything is done on phone or iPad

I could be wrong but it might be possible to do this with MapsMe app... you can certainly download the POIs and I know some people use it to navigate too. I'm just not certain that other POIs in the vicinity would show up whilst navigating though. I've only ever seen that with a satnav.

I wonder if something like Co-Pilot would do the same job? I know a lot of people swear by that.

I could be wrong but it might be possible to do this with MapsMe app... you can certainly download the POIs and I know some people use it to navigate too. I'm just not certain that other POIs in the vicinity would show up whilst navigating though. I've only ever seen that with a satnav.

I wonder if something like Co-Pilot would do the same job? I know a lot of people swear by that.
I have CoPilot and don’t swear by it but I do swear at it, a lot.

I have CoPilot and don’t swear by it but I do swear at it, a lot.
FWIW, I've yet to find a dedicated satnav or satnav app that I don't swear at! That said, I've found CoPilot Caravan better than both the Navigon system I used before and my friend's TomTom system (both of which attempted to route us down height-restricted routes in France). It's a pity that they've just 'retired' CoPilot Caravan and replaced it with CoPilot GPS, as the new system doesn't let you choose road type preferences, which is a feature that used to let me avoid motorways where decent A-road alternatives existed.

I have my iPad setup with both maps.me and copilot. I have failed to get to grips with how or if it can be done to put poi on either to my satisfaction. And so I’ll keep my trusty old Garmin Dezl firmly attached to the dash, along with the uploaded campercontact poi’s. I’ll then use my iPhone or iPad to look at WC or park4night when I feel the need to start to look for a stopping point. Actually I don’t think I like maps.me compared to copilot when I’m just watching the road unfurl.

I like Maps.me but only for planning and POIs
I install various POI's so great when looking for "where to go tomorrow".
I also record stopovers and other POIs
Which I then import into "Google My maps"
So I have a good resource for recalling my trips..
Being sad I also use a spreadsheet both for locations and costs etc
But whilst driving I use TomTom
Ok the time predictions are rubbish as it assumes speed limit speeds
EG 70 + on an M Way and I only do 55 or so
However it is very useful at complicated junctions.
I suspect Garmin is similar. But I have not used a Garmin...
I can install the POI's I want on TomTom and give them "custom images"
Whilst driving I believe a dedicated satnav is best..If you use a smartphone and it rings at an inconvenient time !!!!

I am sure others will say a smartphone does a great job and yes I use a smartphone where I do not have TomTom maps
but satnav for me everytime ! just my opinion

I have for 6 years had a tomtom truck with pois etc on that I bought from fairy tooth,
This has now died!!!!
When you say it has died what exactly has happened to it?, they are easy to repair if you know what you are doing, if you haven't already binned it I could have a look at it for you if you want to post it to me

When you say it has died what exactly has happened to it?, they are easy to repair if you know what you are doing, if you haven't already binned it I could have a look at it for you if you want to post it to me
Cheers tezza
It needs the roll over update but because it’s so old it tells me it won’t work after apr6 and the update is not available, I thought I could just do the map update that it recommended on the sd card but that wiped all the pois off and just gave me 3D imaging ?

I have been trying to install CoPilot caravan on my android phone for the last three days. Driving a poor guy at CoPilot helpline nuts! I can get the ordinary CoPilot or truck but it just does not want to do Caravan/Motorhome. I don't know how many times I have installed and uninstalled it. I have tried to find the hidden bits remaining on my Samsung S9 to clear the traces. Cleared all caches etc, but it still keeps popping up from the earlier install.
On the subject of other sat navs - I bought an XGody. I know some people think they are great but the one I received was not. It would not work unless plugged in to a 12v source. You could not set it up in advance while not plugged in. When I tried it out to go to the Frog meet it told me I had 108 miles to go. It is 29 miles from here. I checked that it had the correct destination. It tried to send me North on the A74 instead of South. Its gone back and the money is back in my account.
My snooper is playing up so I need to do something before my European odyssey starting next Wednesday.

POI's are placed in the map so when you updated the map you will have lost them, if you have a copy of your old map on your PC you can easily put them back, or I can do it for you, FOC of course
Depending on the model it might still work as a satnav after the update but if you put the serial number in here
https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/updates/ it will tell you.

my old GO730 running truck software and maps so similar to yours says

Your satnav’s status

After 6 April 2019, your satnav will not be able to navigate. Fortunately, this is easily fixed with an update we have ready for you below.

FWIW, I've yet to find a dedicated satnav or satnav app that I don't swear at! That said, I've found CoPilot Caravan better than both the Navigon system I used before and my friend's TomTom system (both of which attempted to route us down height-restricted routes in France). It's a pity that they've just 'retired' CoPilot Caravan and replaced it with CoPilot GPS, as the new system doesn't let you choose road type preferences, which is a feature that used to let me avoid motorways where decent A-road alternatives existed.
Our Garmin Camper refuses to take us along partially height restricted roads, where the restriction only occurs on one side where at some point there is a partial overhang on only one side, on the other hand it’s seems quite happy to divert off main roads onto some little almost impassable farm track that is 100m shorter by cutting a corner.

POI's are placed in the map so when you updated the map you will have lost them, if you have a copy of your old map on your PC you can easily put them back, or I can do it for you, FOC of course
Depending on the model it might still work as a satnav after the update but if you put the serial number in here

Your satnav’s status

After 6 April 2019, your satnav will not be able to navigate. Fortunately, this is easily fixed with an update we have ready for you below.
Never had That problem with any of our Garmins.

I like Maps.me but only for planning and POIs
I install various POI's so great when looking for "where to go tomorrow".
I also record stopovers and other POIs
Which I then import into "Google My maps"
So I have a good resource for recalling my trips..
Being sad I also use a spreadsheet both for locations and costs etc
But whilst driving I use TomTom
Ok the time predictions are rubbish as it assumes speed limit speeds
EG 70 + on an M Way and I only do 55 or so
However it is very useful at complicated junctions.
I suspect Garmin is similar. But I have not used a Garmin...
I can install the POI's I want on TomTom and give them "custom images"
Whilst driving I believe a dedicated satnav is best..If you use a smartphone and it rings at an inconvenient time !!!!

I am sure others will say a smartphone does a great job and yes I use a smartphone where I do not have TomTom maps
but satnav for me everytime ! just my opinion
Not too much of a problem with the Garmin when you tell it you are a motorhome, much closer to actual times than most online navigation apps that seem to assume everyone is a boy racer. Also takes account of traffic on motorways and main roads, and proposes alternatives (sometimes).

Your satnav’s status

Pm sent

I brought this tomtom problem up in the other place;): https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forum...005-keeps-turning-off-freezing-rebooting.html

It's really annoying when they refuse to update so-called `lifetime` maps :devilish:. (Yeah, I know, they use the lifetime of the satnav and offer you a discount on their new model, don't ask what I think about that :censored:)

I also have a garmin as backup, but it does like to take you up narrow roads, in spite of having the motorhome measurements. Then it tells you it cant verify the safety of the road! Bit too late by then mate! Why not mention it when you're calculating the route?!!

Incidentally, I've never lost my poi's after updating maps either (tomtom or garmin).

Incidentally, I've never lost my poi's after updating maps either (tomtom or garmin).
On older tomtoms the POI's are placed in the root of the map folder by using explorer and if you update the map you overwrite files so that doesn't affect POI's, if you replace with a new map you lose them because you are replacing the folder.
On newer tomtoms the POI's are not placed by you in the map folder it uses mydrive connect so completely different, you cannot access any folder from your PC because it doesn't see the tomtom as an accessible drive

At the risk of being pedantic, I can only go by my own experience.
My tomtom 1005 isn't new, I've been using it since 2012, but it uses mydrive connect and the pc doesn't see it. I update the poi's via `manage community content` from a hidden icon at the bottom right hand side of the desktop, and if I don't need to update them, no problem, the previous ones are always still available.

I got an Aguri when we bought the van. I found it a bit strange at first after years of TomTom or built in offerings but now I really like it.
I did discover last night I had never turned off the use till roads option when it tried to put me on the M6 toll but that was user error lol

It has built in dash cam as well

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back