Satellite dish choices.

runnach

I am looking at replacing/upgrade our current Oyster 2 system. Current dish is 850mm in diameter, which can be problematic when wind speeds pick up to what I think is not safe, I drop the dish.

There are various newer models out there that are a much smaller diameter, and I do like the look of the rectangle shaped dish. I am not interested with the dome type installation.

What modern setups do you folks have, what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

I had an Oyster 3 for 7/8 years without any concerns. Yes I would close it if the wind was too high for faster sake.

I have added the Oyster V to my Carthago, it is GPS and twin LNB but how good it is I’ll let you know after I collect it later today after pdi and valeting

I shall look into this Wully and cheers for heads-up. BTW I have pre-assessment appointment at the Jubilee end of this month. 😵‍💫

hi runnach. we had the dome sat but down south of France wouldn't pick jack shyt up took the top off once the dish inside was the size of a side plate & now they moved the foot print they are useless . we have had this maxview for 4 years & if its programed for 907 intelsat you can pick up bbc itv etc etc channels in Spain BUT you need the right receiver . yes you have to bring down the dish in high winds yes the recctangle ones are a bit better but again down south France /Spain no good cheyenne https://maxview.co.uk/product/target-roof-mount-fully-automatic-satellite-system/

SDC12178.JPGPICT0004.jpgnormandy 050.jpgInkedDSC00742 solar panels_LI.jpg

We took a firestick away with us this year and never had any problems picking up TV channels with it throughout the Netherlands. BUT it does use data so you need a decent roaming SIM (eg RWG). I still use the sat dish occasionally to reduce data useage but, as you say, when it’s blowing a hoolie outside I always lower it to avoid damage.

hi guys . it all depends on what you want to watch to boss even park up next to the med in winter she still wants the soaps on the tv . if you have the full sky package you can still watch movies etc on 28 east ( if you take your box with you ) because on pay per view they send a stronger signal but not bbc/itv etc on 28 east . looked in the fire stick no good for us & we NEVER have been unable to get a signal with our dish & in four year only a handful of times had to lower the dish . cheyenne

paying out every month for a firer stick no way we watch 2 tv's at once as the boss watches soaps on her boudoir tv so the data would be a killer for us .cheyenne

Attachments

• DSC01869.JPG
    DSC01869.JPG
    227.1 KB · Views: 3
Everything depends on your intended usage, Terry. I certainly wouldn't be looking at a smaller dish when travelling in the southern half of France and looking to receive FTA channels. There are suggestions that terrestrial and satellite broadcasting are on the way out and that Internet will be the channel of the future but that can be very data-intensive, which can be an issue when roaming.
I originally had a rectangular satellite antenna until the motorhome on which it was mounted was stolen; the current one came with a dish already fitted. I do feel that the rectangular antenna was mounted very robustly and I never had any concerns in high winds, which is not the case with the dish.

Tom

No Telly [no space and would be pushing the payload capacity], so one less thing to go wrong. Just need an internet connection when I need to shell out for another ebook. Ours is a poor M/Home for the impoverished and terminally confused ... :oops:

Steve

No Telly [no space and would be pushing the payload capacity], so one less thing to go wrong. Just need an internet connection when I need to shell out for another ebook. Ours is a poor M/Home for the impoverished and terminally confused ... :oops:

Steve
i see what you mean about payload capacity 🫣you have to get your priorities right 🥳. cheyenne

DSC01877.JPG

We have an 85cm Maxview dish with autoskew and also a digital aerial for the UK in case it's too windy or we cant get a satellite signal.

We don't watch much terrestrial telly these days, just the news at 6 and Corrie if we are in the UK. Abroad it'll be downloaded iPlayer and Netflix stuff on my laptop with a 17.3 inch c=screen and an Anka speaker. I have a dodgy Firestick so I can watch sport too but as said, it uses data.

We have an 85cm Maxview dish with autoskew and also a digital aerial for the UK in case it's too windy or we cant get a satellite signal.

We don't watch much terrestrial telly these days, just the news at 6 and Corrie if we are in the UK. Abroad it'll be downloaded iPlayer and Netflix stuff on my laptop with a 17.3 inch c=screen and an Anka speaker. I have a dodgy Firestick so I can watch sport too but as said, it uses data.
hi. why not watch corrie on you maxview its the same as ours .so when the bbc/itv signal drops the further south you go just switch the dish to 907w which the bbc use ( piggy backing ) in case the 28e goes down that's how you get it in Spain .cheyenne

• Thank You
Reactions: GMJ
We aren't that fussed if we miss it tbh and we go to bed at 9pm anyway which is when it is on when we are on the continent.

i see what you mean about payload capacity 🫣you have to get your priorities right 🥳. cheyenne
That's what the Abbott said to the Mother Superior when they came up with the idea of opening a cafe to raise funds for the Church; 'We have to get our Priory Teas right ... :ROFLMAO: 'Another cucmber sandwich, vicar?' ...

Steve

Dodgy Firestick for us too gets everything you want, Sports mainly for me Soaps for Her indoors.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back