Satellite in mh

Garry123

Free Member

Hi all
This is my first post here hope its in the right section.
Hi have just bought an mh with a motorized satellite system. The dish goes up turns but does not find a signal just keeps going round searching.
Any ideas?

Sorry if you already know this and have tried it, but the most common cause is a tree or building blocking the line of sight between the dish and the satellite. Have you tried in an open space?

What system is it ?
Presumably you are searching for Astra 2. If there is a facility to search for Astra 1, try that, to prove that the system is working.
If you can do this, and it locks on to Astra 1, then it might well be that it needs updating, to find Astra 2.

Hi not sure if I need to subscribe to get service.
If I do is there a way to use equipment without subscription

You don't need a subscription...l never have. Jo001 suggestion of a blocked signal is good....always need to check for trees and buildings. It was such a faff trying to find a signal we use a small aerial and freeview now.

There’s a very useful free App that will allow you to judge if there is something in the way of your equipment, look for SatFinder Lite

If yours is an Oyster system and hasn’t been used or updated for a while it will quite likely spin around 3 times, stop and change angle, spin around again, change angle, spin around, change angle, spin around, change angle……….. and so on until it finally finds its starting satellite.

hope that helps, or post what make you’ve got, so you can get other assistance.

Don’t know what system you have but if your decoder / dish controller is an old version it will not find current satellites because they have moved. I had the same. I got a new controller and bingo, finds everything first time.

Hi not sure if I need to subscribe to get service.
If I do is there a way to use equipment without subscription

Your TV will need to be able to have freesat on it though unless you have a freesat box.

As suggested see if you have a choice of satellites to choose from as you'll need the one that covers where you are.

failing that we had the bit at the end of the arm go faulty on us on a previous motorhome so that all it did was spin.Not sure what that bit is called but someone will know.:)

Thanks for that whats a good decoder and how much
Its the controller first. That box knows where the satellites are and moves the dish, assuming you have an automatic motor driven dish. The decoder takes the signal received and outputs it to your screen. So built in Freesat or separate humax on an HDMI channel for that.

If it's an Oyster system it might be worth going on the Jacksons Satellites site they usual have any updates and instructions on there.

If your dish is just going round not fixing on the desired satellite, the problem is most likely the LNB or the controller. The decoder is a different thing. Then again this may just be a terminology thing 👍

I've never had sat before and I found a control box I hadn't switched on but the decoder when powered didn't seem to work and made odd noise from inside thats why I think its decoder

I've had alloy at my system and I think the problem is the decoder
The dish has a box attached that determines which way to point in order to collect the info coming down from the sky. That is the controller.

The cable coming out of the controller (in the case of my Oyster) then goes into either a TV with an inbuilt freeview decoder, or something like a Maxview decoder which itself plugs into the TV, either of these things then decipher the info coming down out of the sky into something your TV can display.

Ideally, you need to tell us what system you have fitted to the roof, and then what controller it is, before worrying too much about the decoder.

The dish and controller are sr-ecatronic and the decoder is a max view.
When I powered the max view it makes a funny noise

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back