Satnav woes.

When they offered you the 795, did they say whether it was refurbished 🤔 Just a thought. If you can screen shot the routes causing the issue it might be worth sending them to Garmin support, they use to be good at responding, haven't used them recently though.

I have a Garmin Camper 795 satnav that is just a few weeks old. When I was heading for the Rye rally, I set the destination from home which is near Southampton to Rye. As I was approaching Eastbourne, it sent me onto the London road. I assumed this was just avoiding Eastbourne but it continued heading for London. I zoomed out on the display and it was taking me on a route that added around 60 miles to the journey. Needless to say, I cancelled the route.

After the rally, I set the satnav for HOME and once again it tried to take me on a huge loop North towards London which again I ignored.

I have checked through the settings and there is nothing I can see in the preferences that would cause this crazy route.

I have just returned from a 3,000 mile Spain holiday and most of the time it performed as expected with motorways, tolls, etc. but twice it took me through minor roads when staying on the main road would have been better. In one case it added 1 hour to a 5 hour journey.

Is there anyone here familiar with the Garmins who can suggest what is wrong? My old Garmin never did this and that was probably 15 years old but the software was completely different to the new models.
Route mapping software glitches? The 'Enter Vehicle Dimensions' *should* stop the Garmin from sending you down [too] narrow roads, unless there is no other access, but on 2-3 occasions on our Spanish trip, the Garmin 780 Camper said, e.g., 'Turn left', and then immediately followed up with 'When possible make a U Turn'! And, having learned to ignore these abberations, I also ignore the Satnav's nagging persistence in trying to get me back to taking the original wrong directions ['at the island, take the 5th exit' - i.e. back whence you came]. The falling price of technology probably means that Garmin cannot spend the time required to remove these anomalies, so we have to live with them, and try to remember to ignore the wrong instructions [says me who , in 2024, repeated the 2023 wrong directions on the approach to Vilafrance del Pinedes and took the same 38 mile detour as we did in 2023] ... :ROFLMAO:

Nothing had changed - neither scenery, nor my fading memory!

Steve

Route mapping software glitches? The 'Enter Vehicle Dimensions' *should* stop the Garmin from sending you down [too] narrow roads, unless there is no other access, but on 2-3 occasions on our Spanish trip, the Garmin 780 Camper said, e.g., 'Turn left', and then immediately followed up with 'When possible make a U Turn'! And, having learned to ignore these abberations, I also ignore the Satnav's nagging persistence in trying to get me back to taking the original wrong directions ['at the island, take the 5th exit' - i.e. back whence you came]. The falling price of technology probably means that Garmin cannot spend the time required to remove these anomalies, so we have to live with them, and try to remember to ignore the wrong instructions [says me who , in 2024, repeated the 2023 wrong directions on the approach to Vilafrance del Pinedes and took the same 38 mile detour as we did in 2023] ... :ROFLMAO:

Nothing had changed - neither scenery, nor my fading memory!

Steve
That's the beauty of Google Maps, they have oodles of doshingtons, still get the MPH limits wrong though.

When they offered you the 795, did they say whether it was refurbished 🤔 Just a thought. If you can screen shot the routes causing the issue it might be worth sending them to Garmin support, they use to be good at responding, haven't used them recently though.
It was brand new. The last time I contacted Garmin they were very slow to respond but it might be worth a try. Thanks.

I’ve used Garmin satnags for many years, and I’ve compared their mapping alongside TomTom , copilot and Google maps. It is far superior in my opinion. My Camper 760 has my dimensions input to it, and the only time it ever seems to get things wrong is in France - for that I will blame the mapmakers that sell the routing to Garmin. Invariably France has little ‘low bridge’ type info and that has caused problems on occasion.

I’ve used Garmin satnags for many years, and I’ve compared their mapping alongside TomTom , copilot and Google maps. It is far superior in my opinion. My Camper 760 has my dimensions input to it, and the only time it ever seems to get things wrong is in France - for that I will blame the mapmakers that sell the routing to Garmin. Invariably France has little ‘low bridge’ type info and that has caused problems on occasion.
That is worth knowing. Thanks. I was wondering what the others were like.

Back